5th Generation War

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by jumpinjarhead, Jul 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is it just a coincidence that these have both been produced by Marine Corps Attack Helicopter Pilots?
  2. JJH,

3. It is a bit unnerving I admit.
  4. In figure three, the graph indicates that the US military believes that brit potency was in decline until the start of telic, and has now steadied, but not increased.

this is is the best encapsulation of the "special relationship" that I have seen
  5. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

JJH - thanks for the article. I remain to be convinced...

Coerr's 5GW seems to be merely a subset of 4GW. I have read a fair amount on this over the last couple of years; in particular I like one of your own - Col Thomas Hammes - and his thoughts on the subject. His book "The Sling and the Stone" I think sums up where most people believe 4GW sits. If this is the case, the scenario described in this article fits fairly comfortably under the heading 4GW.

Is this view of 5GW gaining any popular backing or does it remain the academic musings of one man?

If you come across anymore like this, please do put it on here...

6. I agree that 5GW can be seen as a subset of 4GW but the moneclature is not as important as the thoughts put forward. Hammes is one of our better and brighter thinkers in this arena but much of this is still undergoing debate and refinement so I can't really give a judgment as to how much traction it is getting in the US.

If things continue on their current trajectories in terms of the current administration's penchant for profligate spending on social programs and pork-laden "stimulus" efforts and its rather transparent disdain for national defense matters, much of this debate will never be more than academic.
  7. Although written mainly from the perspective of my service, this article has some pretty good observations and recommendations on force structure, equipping and deployment for future Afghanistan operations. Given the size of our Corps, there may be some application to UK issues.