59 Y/o US Army 1st Sgt. KIA in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jumpinjarhead, Aug 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Oldest U.S. Soldier, 59, Became Latest Casualty In Afghanistan

August 22, 2009 11:44 a.m. EST

Mayur Pahilajani - AHN News Writer

Kabul, Afghanistan (AHN) - A fifty-nine-year-old from Washington state became the oldest soldier to die in the latest casualty of war in Afghanistan.

First Sergeant Jose San Nicolas Crisostomo, a Vietnam veteran and Bronze Star recipient, had volunteered to return to the U.S. Army and serve in Afghanistan.

Crisostomo, who was known to friends as "Joe Sinbad," was killed by a roadside bomb in Kabul on Tuesday as he was riding in an armored Humvee.

Resident of Spanaway, Washington, would have turned 60 later this month. His body was flown to the U.S. early Thursday.

Crisostomo is survived by his wife, four children and 10 grandchildren, according to Seattle-based KING television.

2. A top man - I salute him.
  3. Terrible tragedy indeed! RIP ole warrior, your place in the ranks of the brave is assured. My condolences to this courageous man's family and friends.

It does sort of beg the question, though, why old knackers like this (and I mean that in the true British Army sense) are required or allowed to re-up, in spite of having done more than enough in the service of their country? Or maybe that's better placed as a separate discussion.

4. Tragic for his family. RIP.
    Is there an upper age limit for US military personnel deploying on operations?
  5. I had thought so (at least I had assumed so when my repeeated requests for recall were denied) but apparently not.

Very sad indeed-the man had 10 grandchildren!
  6. Mongo

Mongo LE Reviewer

Rest In Peace.
  7. Thanks, jumpinjarhead. Perhaps inappropriate for this thread, but it is an interesting issue - I assume you are of a similar age to Sgt Crisostomo?
  8. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

RIP old soldier. Duty done.
  9. He wasn't required, he went because he wanted to and they let him because one volunteer's worth ten pressed men. His grandchildren can be thoroughly proud of their grandfather.
  10. My respect for Americans has improved all the time since joining this forum
  11. I second that

RIP and god speed old fella
  12. RIP

I've been on Herrick this year (KAF)and I am the wrong side of 56. If you are fit enough, why not !
  13. RIP you old bugger. Immense respect is due.
  14. RIP.

Condolances to family and friends.
  15. Bobos,
    We appear to share the same year of birth - respect to you and all of the armed forces of all ages serving in that God-forsaken place.