59 Y/o US Army 1st Sgt. KIA in Afghanistan

#1
Oldest U.S. Soldier, 59, Became Latest Casualty In Afghanistan

August 22, 2009 11:44 a.m. EST

Mayur Pahilajani - AHN News Writer

Kabul, Afghanistan (AHN) - A fifty-nine-year-old from Washington state became the oldest soldier to die in the latest casualty of war in Afghanistan.

First Sergeant Jose San Nicolas Crisostomo, a Vietnam veteran and Bronze Star recipient, had volunteered to return to the U.S. Army and serve in Afghanistan.

Crisostomo, who was known to friends as "Joe Sinbad," was killed by a roadside bomb in Kabul on Tuesday as he was riding in an armored Humvee.

Resident of Spanaway, Washington, would have turned 60 later this month. His body was flown to the U.S. early Thursday.

Crisostomo is survived by his wife, four children and 10 grandchildren, according to Seattle-based KING television.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7016176684?Oldest U.S. Soldier, 59, Became Latest%2
 
#3
Terrible tragedy indeed! RIP ole warrior, your place in the ranks of the brave is assured. My condolences to this courageous man's family and friends.

It does sort of beg the question, though, why old knackers like this (and I mean that in the true British Army sense) are required or allowed to re-up, in spite of having done more than enough in the service of their country? Or maybe that's better placed as a separate discussion.

MsG
 
#4
Tragic for his family. RIP.
Is there an upper age limit for US military personnel deploying on operations?
 
#5
slipperman said:
Tragic for his family. RIP.
Is there an upper age limit for US military personnel deploying on operations?
I had thought so (at least I had assumed so when my repeeated requests for recall were denied) but apparently not.

Very sad indeed-the man had 10 grandchildren!
 
#7
jumpinjarhead said:
slipperman said:
Tragic for his family. RIP.
Is there an upper age limit for US military personnel deploying on operations?
I had thought so (at least I had assumed so when my repeeated requests for recall were denied) but apparently not.

Very sad indeed-the man had 10 grandchildren!
Thanks, jumpinjarhead. Perhaps inappropriate for this thread, but it is an interesting issue - I assume you are of a similar age to Sgt Crisostomo?
 

Bowmore_Assassin

MIA
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#8
RIP old soldier. Duty done.
 
#9
Bugsy said:
...It does sort of beg the question, though, why old knackers like this (and I mean that in the true British Army sense) are required or allowed to re-up, in spite of having done more than enough in the service of their country? Or maybe that's better placed as a separate discussion.
jumpinjarhead said:
First Sergeant Jose San Nicolas Crisostomo...had volunteered to return to the U.S. Army and serve in Afghanistan.
He wasn't required, he went because he wanted to and they let him because one volunteer's worth ten pressed men. His grandchildren can be thoroughly proud of their grandfather.
 
#12
slipperman said:
jumpinjarhead said:
slipperman said:
Tragic for his family. RIP.
Is there an upper age limit for US military personnel deploying on operations?
I had thought so (at least I had assumed so when my repeeated requests for recall were denied) but apparently not.

Very sad indeed-the man had 10 grandchildren!
Thanks, jumpinjarhead. Perhaps inappropriate for this thread, but it is an interesting issue - I assume you are of a similar age to Sgt Crisostomo?
RIP

I've been on Herrick this year (KAF)and I am the wrong side of 56. If you are fit enough, why not !
 
#13
RIP you old bugger. Immense respect is due.
 
#15
bobos said:
slipperman said:
jumpinjarhead said:
slipperman said:
Tragic for his family. RIP.
Is there an upper age limit for US military personnel deploying on operations?
I had thought so (at least I had assumed so when my repeeated requests for recall were denied) but apparently not.

Very sad indeed-the man had 10 grandchildren!
Thanks, jumpinjarhead. Perhaps inappropriate for this thread, but it is an interesting issue - I assume you are of a similar age to Sgt Crisostomo?
RIP

I've been on Herrick this year (KAF)and I am the wrong side of 56. If you are fit enough, why not !
Bobos,
We appear to share the same year of birth - respect to you and all of the armed forces of all ages serving in that God-forsaken place.
 
#16
RIP to a courageous man who did more than his share. But I just wonder if the USA or ourselves created an old and bold unit what would happen? My feeling is it would be oversubscribed and if there is not too much tabbing ( ;) could be a lethally effective force.
 
#18
A little more info on this man:

Soldier, 59, is oldest U.S. service member to die in Afghanistan

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A Vietnam veteran and Bronze Star recipient who volunteered to return to the Army and serve in Afghanistan became the oldest U.S. service member to die in combat there, the U.S. military announced Friday.

First Sgt. Jose San Nicolas Crisostomo was killed by a roadside bomb in Kabul on Tuesday while riding in an armored Humvee.

His body was flown to the United States early Thursday morning.

Crisostomo of Spanaway, Washington, was 59. He would have turned 60 later this month, according to KING television in Seattle, Washington.

He was one of a very few service members who served in Vietnam and also in current U.S. military operations, his record shows. He twice received the Bronze Star, which is awarded to U.S. troops for combat valor.

Crisostomo also received the Purple Heart for being wounded in combat, according to his records.

It was not clear from his official records if he received the medals for combat in Vietnam or Afghanistan.

His records also indicate he received numerous other commendations. He also served during the first Gulf War in 1991 and received the Kuwait Liberation Medal.

He joined the Army in 1969 and retired in 1993, then volunteered to serve again in 2008.

According to his records, his position in the Army was automated logistical specialist, but it was unclear in what capacity he was serving while in Afghanistan.

**********************************************************

Age shall not weary them

Laurence Binyon's full 'For the Fallen' poem - the fourth verse of which is so familar to us today:

With proud thanksgiving, a mother for her children,
England mourns for her dead across the sea.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.

Solemn the drums thrill: Death august and royal
Sings sorrow up into immortal spheres.
There is a music in the midst of desolation
And a glory that shines upon our tears.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncountered:
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables at home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond England's foam.

But where our desires are and our hopes profound,
Felt as a well-spring that is hidden from sight,
To the innermost heart of their own land they are known
As the stars are known to the Night;

As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust,
Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain;
As the stars that are starry in the time of our darkness,
To the end, to the end they remain.

*******************************************

R.I.P. Loggie. The Change of Responsible Officer inventory has been completed and is correct. Stand easy. :salut:
 
#19
bobos said:
slipperman said:
jumpinjarhead said:
slipperman said:
Tragic for his family. RIP.
Is there an upper age limit for US military personnel deploying on operations?
I had thought so (at least I had assumed so when my repeeated requests for recall were denied) but apparently not.

Very sad indeed-the man had 10 grandchildren!
Thanks, jumpinjarhead. Perhaps inappropriate for this thread, but it is an interesting issue - I assume you are of a similar age to Sgt Crisostomo?
RIP

I've been on Herrick this year (KAF)and I am the wrong side of 56. If you are fit enough, why not !
Thanks for your service "old man"! I envy you!
 
#20
Ruckerwocman said:
A little more info on this man:

Soldier, 59, is oldest U.S. service member to die in Afghanistan

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A Vietnam veteran and Bronze Star recipient who volunteered to return to the Army and serve in Afghanistan became the oldest U.S. service member to die in combat there, the U.S. military announced Friday.

First Sgt. Jose San Nicolas Crisostomo was killed by a roadside bomb in Kabul on Tuesday while riding in an armored Humvee.

His body was flown to the United States early Thursday morning.

Crisostomo of Spanaway, Washington, was 59. He would have turned 60 later this month, according to KING television in Seattle, Washington.

He was one of a very few service members who served in Vietnam and also in current U.S. military operations, his record shows. He twice received the Bronze Star, which is awarded to U.S. troops for combat valor.

Crisostomo also received the Purple Heart for being wounded in combat, according to his records.

It was not clear from his official records if he received the medals for combat in Vietnam or Afghanistan.

His records also indicate he received numerous other commendations. He also served during the first Gulf War in 1991 and received the Kuwait Liberation Medal.

He joined the Army in 1969 and retired in 1993, then volunteered to serve again in 2008.

According to his records, his position in the Army was automated logistical specialist, but it was unclear in what capacity he was serving while in Afghanistan.

**********************************************************

Age shall not weary them

Laurence Binyon's full 'For the Fallen' poem - the fourth verse of which is so familar to us today:

With proud thanksgiving, a mother for her children,
England mourns for her dead across the sea.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.

Solemn the drums thrill: Death august and royal
Sings sorrow up into immortal spheres.
There is a music in the midst of desolation
And a glory that shines upon our tears.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncountered:
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables at home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond England's foam.

But where our desires are and our hopes profound,
Felt as a well-spring that is hidden from sight,
To the innermost heart of their own land they are known
As the stars are known to the Night;

As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust,
Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain;
As the stars that are starry in the time of our darkness,
To the end, to the end they remain.

*******************************************

R.I.P. Loggie. The Change of Responsible Officer inventory has been completed and is correct. Stand easy. :salut:
A very fitting poem and post.
 

Latest Threads

Top