589 Field Security Section Intelligence Corps
 - Burma WW2

Ladies/Gents,

Can anyone tell me anything about this unit, during WW2?

What type of things would a Field Security Section be doing?

Assuming they all did similar stuff it sounds like it was "varied and interesting" based on that link. There is a book listed in further reading at the bottom that sounds promising.

Field Security - Very Ordinary Intelligence by Lt. Col. Mains, published by Piction Publishing (Chippenham) Ltd... an account about his time in the Intelligence Corps where he attained the position of Chief Intelligence Officer of Central Command in India in 1946.

Assuming they all did similar stuff it sounds like it was "varied and interesting" based on that link. There is a book listed in further reading at the bottom that sounds promising.
If that's the book I'm thinking of, the 'highlights' include machine gunning a caged puma at a garden party in India and some other dodgy stuff in Iraq. If it is that book, there is very little about FS.

Is that not bread and butter FS work then?
I didn't want to elaborate on the dodgy stuff in Iraq just in case it was the wrong book. But it was Jimmy Saville dodgy rather than dodgy accounting of arms & ammo or not completing 102s properly.

There used to be a book about Field Security Sections during World War Two, written by a former member of the Corps called Bob Steers, which described in some detail the work carried out by individual FSS. It was available for sale to ICA members from the Corps Museum, but it may be out of print now.

However, I suggest you Google "Burma Intelligence Corps" for more information in that Theatre.

Last edited:
There used to be a book about Field Security Sections during World War Two, written by a former member of the Corps called Bob Steers, which described in some detail the work carried out by individual FSS. It was available for sale to ICA members from the Corps Museum, but it may be out of print now.

However, I suggest you Google "Burma Intelligence Corps" for more information in that Theatre.
Bearing in mind that the Burma Intelligence Corps was a corps in its own right.

Bearing in mind that the Burma Intelligence Corps was a corps in its own right.

Yeh have come across that very problem. But will certainly try and track down a copy of the book.

Just out of interest what's the difference between the Int Corps and Special Branch? As I've come across lots of stuff about them in Malaya.

Yeh have come across that very problem. But will certainly try and track down a copy of the book.

Just out of interest what's the difference between the Int Corps and Special Branch? As I've come across lots of stuff about them in Malaya.
Int Corps are Army, SB are police. Different services, different functions. Occasional collaborators in theatres various, with relations varying from wholly cooperative to unbelievably frosty. Sometimes both in the same theatre at the same time.