58 pattern webbing...

ugly

LE
dont I'm suffering ptsd from those pics.

oh the joys of 58, thanks for bringing it all back.

hahaha. I'll have nightmares now.

love the kit list for the large pack "...spare boots.... training shoes....spare NBC kit... spare overboots... etc, etc". Oh the joys of trying to get all that kit into a tiny 20? litre pack, and then trying to get it out again after you'd been in the rain and the straps had gone like concrete in the buckles....

Mind you, in those days we had a proper rifle and....

ugly

LE

ugly

LE
Nice, informative site; just a shame about the basic spelling-errors.
and the utter bollocks about the 30 round LMG mag in the right hand pouch!

Actually, I remember the kip mats being "new issue". Don't think we had anything before those - just lay on the ground in a soaking wet short size P58 sleeping bag with no feathers and that stank of.... no no! ... nightmares tonight...

Actually the guy in the demo photos "has it easy":

a) he's porky enough for his pouches to be spaced out sufficiently to provide max capacity - my lot mostly had c.30" waists and had to squish all the pouches together just to get them on the belt (no problem for us these days, eh Ugly?!);

b) Kit list at sandhurst or any of the training establishments had a training shoe in each kidney pouch, and the additional load of; binos, compass, maps, slidex/batco folder, PRC 349 when it arrived, radio batteries, model kit, TAMs, orders cards, the section flare pistol, etc...

just have a good long mooch at the ''boil in the bag'' waterproofs, and the Chinese fighting suit jacket, i still wear mine.

Actually, I remember the kip mats being "new issue". Don't think we had anything before those - just lay on the ground in a soaking wet short size P58 sleeping bag with no feathers and that stank of.... no no! ... nightmares tonight...

Actually the guy in the demo photos "has it easy":

a) he's porky enough for his pouches to be spaced out sufficiently to provide max capacity - my lot mostly had c.30" waists and had to squish all the pouches together just to get them on the belt (no problem for us these days, eh Ugly?!);

b) Kit list at sandhurst or any of the training establishments had a training shoe in each kidney pouch, and the additional load of; binos, compass, maps, slidex/batco folder, PRC 349 when it arrived, radio batteries, model kit, TAMs, orders cards, the section flare pistol, etc...
I also had a CP tent, PRC 352 (instead of a 349), monopole antenna and a No. 2 burner. And cooking oil and spuds. And no, I didn't have any transport.

And people moan that they couldn't fit plimsoles in...

I may not be old and bold, but I do remember that stuff from being a cadet.

List of things theoretically carried in the 'large' pack:
'58 pattern Sleeping Bag
Kip Mat
Spare Combats
Spare Shirt
Wooly Jumper
Spare Boots
Gym Shoes or Trainers
Water proofs
Cold weather liners
Socks
Thermal underwear