.577 to .590 lathe needed

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Alsacien, Jun 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I am just knocking out a batch of .590 Minie's to use later this year in my 3 band Snider.
    I have a set of .577 Snider dies I would like to convert to .590 - does anyone have a lathe and the know-how, or know anyone who does?

I know there are other ways of doing this, but I would like to fit the minies in tight'ish - and my cases are not going to take much more punishment....

Cheers.

2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

3. Ah.

You are in precision internal machining territory there. Suspect it could be easier to have a set made up from scratch.

4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I ordered and paid for a set of .590 from the US - guy has not been heard of since...

5. Try CH4D

6. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

They are CH4D dies :D Sending them to the US does not seem the cheapest and easiest option though..

7. Might be able to do this.

PM the details.

8. Ah.....that would be Coyote then? :D

I got screwed for a .577 bullet plug mould, he did send me by way of compensation a .577 mini hunter bullet mould which remains unused.

I would have to agree with Stoaty regarding CH4D, they made me a .590 neck sizing die, although it was about 6 years ago it didn't cost a fortune.

Edited to add that that the exchange rate has changed a lot since then, try EX_STAB!

9. CH 4D are doing some good work these days. A few years ago I had a 10.4 x 38R mould off of them that was tonk.

But recently I have had a 300 whisper size/trim dies for the Dillon motorised trimmer and it is spot on -- better made, in fact, than the Dillon originals.

Their website, by the way, is not complete -- if there's something you want, just e-mail them and ask. Chances are that if they don't actually have one in stock they've made one before and can do you one (lead time can be pushing 5 months, but who else is going to do it?)

10. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Thanks for the input guys.

It was indeed Coyote, ripped me off for $200.
    Previously he had shipped me a .590 mould which is fine and 60 cases.
    The CH4D dies are only .577 - stretching the thin cases to accept a .590 is extreme, 2 have failed.
    Fire forming leaves them bigger than .590 and the damn bullet falls out unless I go mad with lube.
    I'm usually travelling, so I wanted to be able to have cartridges that are reasonably rugged. I also need to get seating depth consistant as it will just about hit a barn door but that is it right now...

I had tried CH4D with no reply last year. I have mailed them this week and they have come back, but seem confused as to why anyone would want anything bigger than .585.

I will follow up with CH4D first and see what the price/time would be as the dies are hardened steel and probably not that easy to work.
    Ex-stab, many thanks for the kind offer, I will come back to you if CH4D is a dead end. Incidentally, there is a gap in the market if you have the facility to do such things.....

11. It's far from my usual sort of work but I'd gladly have a look at it. I'm assuming that a new expander rod would be required and the throat of the die reaming out by .020 or thereabouts depending exactly what level of interference fit you require. Clearly it wouldn't be possible with carbide dies.
    As the snider case is fairly simple I'm assuming that the die is also fairly simple. It might be easier to make a whole new die.

The proper way to do it of course is to have a reamer made. This isn't that expensive really. I looked at having a chamber reamer for .17 Mach2 made up a few years ago although I never proceeded with that project.

Post some photos of the die set and some cartridges so we can have a think about it.

12. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I'll get some photos up when I get back next week, in the meantime check your PM's.

13. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

[​IMG]

Here we have:
    Top left - a mock up datum for seating depth
    Top right - 2 cast bullets measuring .599
    Bottom left - original size case showing the "flare" needed to start the bullet seating
    Bottom right - 3 fire formed cases measuring .601 on the inside, .631-.633 outside at neck tapering down to .661 at the base

14. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

[​IMG]

Here is the expander die, straight wall inside .695 and .585 on the ball