57 years service. Any OR served longer?

Discussion in 'Seniors' started by twony, Oct 26, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apologies if this in the wrong sub- forum. Was looking for a history forum, but couldn't find one.

On another forum, came across a discussion about the old bugger in the photo below. The question was whether he was the longest served OR ever, in the British Army

He, apparently, is Edward "Dutchy" Pearce, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.

Born in Dublin 1848. Signed up in 1866. Did eight years in India 1868-1876. Five months in Malta 1885. Back to India 1888. Returned to Dublin twenty years later in 1908 after having also served in the Boer War and Egypt. After that he was at a depot in Omagh till his retirement, at age 75, in 1923. Was 66 when the Great War commenced, so he sat that one out.

Was still a, 54 year old, Private in 1902. But, all those stripes on his left sleeve are good conduct awards and he was never kicked out. So he was, at the very least, not incompentent.

But, to the question: 57 years, has an (OR) ever served longer than that?
  2. I presume not including TA bandsmen/musicians?
  3. ...sat out the whole of the Great War? Sounds like a bit of a skiver to me.
  4. A 57 year Pte.

Yep, he sounds like a true professional, the backsliding miscreant.

Did he get an RSM's pension?
  5. Need you ask?
  6. Surely he qualifies for 2 and a half RSM's pensions
  7. Obviously he didn't do enough arselicking to come off the promotions boards.
  8. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

I know the record for all three services. Provo Wallis - 96 years service.

Provo Wallis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is a lovely story about Wallis in his 90's. The Admiralty wanted to get him to retire, so suggested that he should go back to sea.

Wallis immediately agreed but pointed out that as Admiral of the fleet he was senior to all other officers and would automatically take command of the fleet. He then went on to say all his experience was in sailing ships but he was keen to learn about this new fangled steam thing and when could he start?

The Admiralty gave up trying to get him to retire.

9. There is a L/Cpl Savides ( public domain) in the London Regiment who was RB, then Green Jacket, then Royal Green Jacket; joined in the 60s, Army champion SMG shot twice, face like a monkey but does astonishing impressions of Cliff Richard and Tom Jones.

Still serving AFAICT, getting on for 50 years in ( and a lance jack already. )

edit - tracked this down

"50 years in the LONDONS" bluff...

Diamond Jubilee Medals Parade - British Army Website

and a pic of Sav on page seven...

10. My service was all about quality, not quantity. But you STABs wouldn't know about that.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. You salty sea dog, you.
  12. You're right about that fizzog!
  13. If he's the bloke who got his VRSM in 2004, he's gazetted as being RLC, so I presume he's a chef - about the only earthly way that anyone could have escaped the various age-determined compulsory retirements thrown up in the last 25 years. The only bloke on the Gazette page whose number starts 23xx and is about a million less than the the recipients either side of him.

No wonder he went for the VRSM, he must have filled the ribbon of his Efficiency Medal with 5 friggin bars.

edit: Miscalculation. He'd have lost two bars and there's 2 years missing somewhere. So EM(T) and 2 bars.