53 Anti Aircraft Training Regiment

oldbaldy

LE
During WW2 this unit was based in Edinburgh, I can't find where though, does anyone have a clue?

Don't know the answer, but there are the remains of a HAA gunsite at Liberton. Grid NT 26566 69138

ETA I have a photo on file somewhere of a Bloodhound SAM taken at Liberton, possibly a publicity shot for Ferranti.​

Last edited:

oldbaldy

LE
What year(s) are you interested in and do you know if it was a heavy or light regiment?
I'm interested in 1941. At the moment I only know it was a training regiment, the indivdual I'm researching trained there as a driver, before going to 33 LAA Regt also in Edinburgh & then went to India in 1942.

I have 53 AA Training Regiment in Arbroath, Angus. Does that help? I'm struggling to find a war diary though, which isn't unusual as most training establishments didn't seem to write them.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
which isn't unusual as most training establishments didn't seem to write them.
Agreed. Mooching around the Archive Room at Durham Records Office, as I've mentioned before, I found the War Diary of a DLI battalion. It started when they rolled into Hursley Park (where I was working, for 17 years when I found the diary) on their way to embark at Southampton a few days before D-Day.

It literally just, for want of a better word, switched on as they were about to go to battle.

oldbaldy

LE
I have 53 AA Training Regiment in Arbroath, Angus. Does that help? I'm struggling to find a war diary though, which isn't unusual as most training establishments didn't seem to write them.
Cheers Drew, If they were in Arbroath, strange that his service record says Edinburgh!

No idea mate...I can only go with what I found and the RA isn't an area I excel in. I'm not even 100% convinced the war diaries I found are for the same unit. Experience tells me that training establishments rarely kept records that survive today at the National Archives in London.

Agreed. Mooching around the Archive Room at Durham Records Office, as I've mentioned before, I found the War Diary of a DLI battalion. It started when they rolled into Hursley Park (where I was working, for 17 years when I found the diary) on their way to embark at Southampton a few days before D-Day.

It literally just, for want of a better word, switched on as they were about to go to battle.
I have lots of DLI war diaries from TNA-I used to do research for a chap who's connected to the Durham Records Office - He's the go to guy for DLI related stuff.

oldbaldy

LE
  1. No idea mate...I can only go with what I found and the RA isn't an area I excel in. I'm not even 100% convinced the war diaries I found are for the same unit. Experience tells me that training establishments rarely kept records that survive today at the National Archives in London.
    Cheers Drew, one further thing it is listed as 53 LAA Driver Training Regt. He never mentioned being a driver but did tell me about humping a mortar base plate through the jungle in Burma when he was with 76 column

[QUOTE

It literally just, for want of a better word, switched on as they were about to go to battle.[/QUOTE]
War Diaries are only kept by units serving abroad, that is why.

It literally just, for want of a better word, switched on as they were about to go to battle
War Diaries are only kept by units serving abroad, that is why.
There's 17,955 British Army war diaries held at the National Archives under series WO 166 (British Home Forces) that say you're wrong :)