521 STRE Chilwell

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by A_Knocker_Till_The_End, May 25, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. have been offered a posting to this unit as a sparks.

any info on them gents :?: :?: :?: :?:

2. Well Drillers

http://www.army.mod.uk/royalengineers/org/mwfv/index.htm

The link is wrong, it has a large TA component but it is a reg unit.

Its the old MWF in Chilwell.

Anything in particular you want to know and I may know a man who can.

3. i know that they are well drillers but like i said i am going there as a sparks, any info on what they have coming up etc would be a help. do not want to leave the job i am in at present but may have to on promotion grounds.

cheers in advance.

4. The link is wrong, but the ORBAT is the correct one, showing 521 STRE (WD) as part of 170 (Infra Sp) Engr Gp. WD actually stands for "Water Development" as it doesn't only involve drilling. It's a similar distinction to the difference between a rifle and a gun - there isn't one, but people get on their high horses about it.

A better link is here: http://www.army.mod.uk/royalengineers/org/170gp/stre.htm

A downside is the address - it must be one of the longest in the Army:
    521 STRE (WD), 62 Wks Gp RE, 170 (Infra Sp) Engr Gp RE.

Why the need for all the REs and Gps, I don't know. (It used to be "521STRE (WD), 62 CRE, MWF.")

A fine bunch of blokes, and I'm not associated with them, honest. (Well, not directly).

5. Oops, in the process of developing water myself or rather converting perfectly good lager into water anyway. :D

Knocker check PMs :wink:

6. Now, which brewery was it that came up with the catch phrase "Last one to the pub's a lager drinker"?

7. Dunno never been last one in the pub :D

8. Perhaps you might do some "proper" work there instead of being on tinternet all day!!!

9. Call me dangerously adventurous but perhaps you could try ringing up someone in the unit and asking them to send you a FOE?

10. always best to get it "straight from the horses mouth" rather than the flowered up version my friend :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

11. IMHO of all the STREs in all the world the guys in 521 are the best to work with, been loosly attached a few times and they're all bloody nice blokes (who love to get covered in mud whilst drilling)

The WD role isn't just drilling these days but of re-constituting existing well heads and the like.

And they get to travel the world, stay less time than a RAF pilot and f*ck off as soon as the jobs done (jammy sods)

12. edited for stuttering with excitement.............or summat 8O

13. Well knocker it would appear that Ronnie has your number :twisted:

Gis a bell one of the lads on our course was there and im sure he'll know

Look out on the MQ side of life as its heaving unless your going MU (Then look out Moth Eaton)

Still enjoyed my 3 years there and the AO is an absolute top banana he'll look after you

Even if you go away its short tours 6 weeks to 3 months and in Iraq they lived with the medics so it cant be all bad

14. gulity as charged m'lord :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

15. Have to wait & see but it certainly looks more 7 more like i have to give up my cushy posting with the RAF, glasgow strike yet again never leave someone where he is happy & the unit are happy with him.........................CNUTS :x :x :x :x