51st Highland Div c 1944 - A&SH + RE

Wasn't sure where to post this - if a MOD wants to move it feel free

Whilst dealing with some family effects we came across these - if anyone is interested I can post full res scans in the Photo Gallery

CIN3

Last edited:

ugly

LE
Some of those pics look very familiar, used in books already!

ugly

LE
Then (no ill intent intended) they may have been taken at the same time and from the same place as the ones used in the Op Varsity books. That said it used to be fairly commonplace before digital cameras to go to the Int Cell and buy some of the holiday snaps taken by the Bn photographer!

Edited to add, any notes on the back identifying who where and when?

Then (no ill intent intended) they may have been taken at the same time and from the same place as the ones used in the Op Varsity books. That said it used to be fairly commonplace before digital cameras to go to the Int Cell and buy some of the holiday snaps taken by the Bn photographer!

Edited to add, any notes on the back identifying who where and when?
Some of them have notes on the back and relate to other items of "memorabilia"

They all date from the Belgium Holland campaign in 44

I'll transcribe the notes and link them to the photo's

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

ugly

LE
Cheers, I did the same with mine which proved handy when proving that he Provost Sgt had stolen mine!

Bloody Highlanders, I think they got to Oldenburg about 1945 and immediately impounded Granddads duck guns on the grounds that Germans couldn't have weapons and Granddad was dead anyway. So if they are still hanging up in some officers mess can I 'ave them back?. That said I worked with an old 51st bloke at Woolwich Arsenal stores back in 76. I said you don't sound very Scots to me. He responded I ain't son, they just stuck me in them. Just out of curiosity that, one in front of what looks like a Kaserne, was that taken later? Like after May 1945

Bloody Highlanders, I think they got to Oldenburg about 1945 and immediately impounded Granddads duck guns on the grounds that Germans couldn't have weapons and Granddad was dead anyway. So if they are still hanging up in some officers mess can I 'ave them back?. That said I worked with an old 51st bloke at Woolwich Arsenal stores back in 76. I said you don't sound very Scots to me. He responded I ain't son, they just stuck me in them. Just out of curiosity that, one in front of what looks like a Kaserne, was that taken later? Like after May 1945
Great-Uncle George was about as far from a Highlander as possible having been born and raised in Southampton but was attached to the 51st from Dunkirk to Berlin according to his war record

The photos are 500km from me but I'll provide what references I can ASAP

Great-Uncle George was about as far from a Highlander as possible having been born and raised in Southampton but was attached to the 51st from Dunkirk to Berlin according to his war record

The photos are 500km from me but I'll provide what references I can ASAP

Well I know what it's like trying to sort these photos out. My dad was an inveterate snapper but when I got most of his photos I spent about six months trying identify each batch from the kind of paper used to the batch numbers. I got them into some semblance of order. There were quite a number of duplicates which makes me think that he other people in mind when he took each shot.

To wit one 16 year old girl going to identify her dad on the back of a coal wagon whilst Highlanders and Germans were shooting all around her. Respect indeed.