502 SATCOM in 80s 30SR

Maybe Yellow was replaced by a 501 after the det moved from the Embassy? IIRC the initial deployment operated out of the embassy compound, but when I went out on the 2nd roulement it was operating out of the Saudi Airforce HQ complex in Riyadh centre, in one of those big yank aircon'd tent thingy's.
:?

Do you know something. You could be right. That pic was in the embassy not long after arrival. Do I know you mate? I was the only paddy out there on the initial det. After 17 years I at least owe you a thanks for letting me home in time for xmas that year :D

timebandit said:
slopey_shoulders said:
yep! was with 502 blue in angola!
Had the honour 8O at MALBAT can't remember which one it was Blue?? Not too sure but that was the last one deployed on Ops a decent bit of kit in its day.
I was at MALBAT too! :) Fecking miserable place when the wind blew.... I think it was Blue. Was also on Yellow and White, took one of them to Purple Helmet in Tampa.... not a bad gig that one! :D

X Box, Z Container, Y Container, Daleks Head, Petal Box, Waveguides, CDMAs, RQMS, ASMA, NSTN etc..... man portable my arrse.... thing weighed a ton, and lifting it on and off a 4Ton could get emotional! :D

Happy dayz! :D

foggy_balla said:
Do you know something. You could be right. That pic was in the embassy not long after arrival. Do I know you mate? I was the only paddy out there on the initial det. After 17 years I at least owe you a thanks for letting me home in time for xmas that year :D
Foggy,

Check your PM's

JT

I was one of the crew that pulled 502 Blue out of Livno in 98. Boxed up at Banja no-fun and shipped to the museum.
Many a fun hour brushing snow off the dish in the middle of the night!

Oh dear, I remember the TSC500 in 14th Sigs Worcester and the TSC501 in 30 Sigs Blandford then RSRE Defford near Malvern. 1975 - 1981... Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear Tempis Fugit!

Stuff all this modern kit, anybody remember the crystal calcs for the C41/R222 ?.

Didn't one if the units get dropped by a Chinook in the late 80's ? Sure it happened when I was there, crew chopped the line due to a "Technical problem". and not because of a whip round by2 Squadron as was rumoured. Made a right mess !

]I think I know the yeoman you speak of, he was a staffy around 1985/86, I ran with him in many regimental events. Ex 264 I think, served in the Falklands, a real character.

[/B]As per forum rules, NO REAL NAMES.

Probably 5'6" to 5'8" weighing around 8 stone pissed wet through. There can be only one.
An old thread......but,

If it's the same bloke as I'm thinking of, didn't his surname match his stature?

Nope but in another loc.... should have seen RAF Flight when we turned up in our Dodge wagons for a test...
"uh... we thought you were in Land Rovers?"
"Nope, thats the 501 (or 505, cant recall)"
"oh, how heavy are your wagons"
"oh one is about 4 ton, the other a bit less"
"wait here..."
After a few more questions, many mugs of tea. Me eyeballing them working on calculators
"we have good and bad news... bad news is your too heavy.. good news is, **** it we are declaring it "operational training"" tips his nose and winks his eye.. by fook did they just cram it into the Short fat Albert.

Didn't one if the units get dropped by a Chinook in the late 80's ? Sure it happened when I was there, crew chopped the line due to a "Technical problem". and not because of a whip round by2 Squadron as was rumoured. Made a right mess !
Didn't a second Chinook take the roof of a cricket pavilion?

I was on the Chinook that dropped the tx cab, The Fofs at the time wanted the techs to calculate how fast the cab hit the deck from 300ft doing 120kts. Apparently the prop shaft has shear sensors that detect an engine malfunction, the pilot (instructor) jettisoned the cargo, creamed into the field and was taken away within 20 minutes of crashing to the closest 5 star hotel, the two or three of us on board awaited our landrover, arrived around tea time, we crashed about 11 in the morning.

Ex Saif Sareea in 86 in Masirah, tiny island off Oman, someone thought it prudent we should practice mass mobilisation to sandy places.

I was on the Chinook that dropped the tx cab, The Fofs at the time wanted the techs to calculate how fast the cab hit the deck from 300ft doing 120kts. Apparently the prop shaft has shear sensors that detect an engine malfunction, the pilot (instructor) jettisoned the cargo, creamed into the field and was taken away within 20 minutes of crashing to the closest 5 star hotel, the two or three of us on board awaited our landrover, arrived around tea time, we crashed about 11 in the morning.

Ex Saif Sareea in 86 in Masirah, tiny island off Oman, someone thought it prudent we should practice mass mobilisation to sandy places.

I worked on the write off. Me and Q (Chopper) Kxxxt managed to get 19 tool kits in that cab plus assorted other items. Did you know it had cam nets in it as well!!!! Shame that the lost Duplexer couldn't have mysteriously reappeared in it!

I measured the dimensions after it was brought back and stuck in the garages, I think it was only about 28-30 inches high at the highest point.

Hmmm thinking about it, chinooks and me,,, I was on VC10 at MPA Falklands when the chinook doing some hairy tests creamed in killing all on board, 7 I think it was, rip fellas