500 t.a bods leaving every month!

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by copey, Feb 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. thought it was getting a bit quiet on a tuesday night? well this is why, im not sure what the recruitment numbers are but following an o.c's interview for re-enlistment i expressed my concers about the lack of manpower. it was he who informed me about the number of people leaving the t.a each month.
    your comments on this please
  2. Thee are a couple of very good threads about this subject so look around and see what comments you observe. Perhaps your views on why so many6 are leaving, would be a good starter.
  3. Remember, most units allow troops to be paper strength after their kit is handed in until their reenlistment comes up. Hence you can have a "110% manned" subunit which fields a section.

The actual strength of the TA is currently really small, how small I'll let you speculate....
  4. Surely for ever 500 that leave 500 must join? A little like the regs I suppose, but I maybe wrong?
  5. 500 TA leave every month

prices gone up in the NAAFI?
  6. Currently about 100-150 join per month, by Hansard.
  7. 500 leave, 150 join, a big problem in the making.
  8. I take it this figure is across the board. Could it be possible to break the numbers down and then look at the problem, ie are people dropping out due to the elongated recruit training system or are particular units leaking manpower like a prossies puss ?
  9. Historically though, the TA has always turned over Bods at a Rapid rate, going back well over a decade in my personal experience
  10. Yes the TA has always had a big turnover, but never as big as at this time. I am not surprised. On top of that, a lot of personnel are taking long leave of absence. My unit is currently being decimated by people leaving and just not turning up and although this is not the forum to say why, I know this sort of problem seems to be becoming endemic. I note a couple of threads that have been very frank about retention.
  11. My own views on this are:

The physical requirements are increasing. CFT weights are being brought in line with the regulars, and the length is being increased from 4 to 6 miles in the next year. In 2007 the length will be 8 miles. The people who have never managed to get the mile and a half in under 13:45 are coming under increased pressure to shape up, and some are now not progressing past phase 1 training.

Higher numbers of people are being mobilised, in more critical conflict areas, and they are expected to perform at full efficiency. Some people, after two or three tours, just feel that they have done their fair share. After all, it soon adds up to years of active service without pension
    with your primary career on hold. Family life suffers, financially you suffer and you still get labeled a STAB by the regulars.

Recruitment drives are at a higher level, with greater saturation on the public conciseness, which leads to greater numbers through the doors. Higher numbers means more people drop out. Training teams get isolated and bored, and suffer because of it.

The OTC has high numbers of people who are just in it for the extra cash for University, and don't see any sort of career in the armed forces. One the final term is finished, they quit and get a day job that they see more of a future in.

I expect that the retention levels will stabilise after a few years, when the changes the TA is currently undergoing finish and people are comfortable. After all, the service has been around for a while now and it will always have a core of hard working and dedicated staff.
  12. Heard recently

"You! How many people in a section?"

" Err, two Staff?"

"Two, TWO?! What army do you serve in?"

*Cue group laughter*

"In the Territorial Staff"

*Laughter stops*

"Good point. Actually it should be eight ok?"
  13. However, what levels will they stabilise at?

The TA is currently less than 20,000 strong, including OTC's and NRPS by Hansard for 02 FEB 06: