500,000 records online of ex-soldiers

Mr Happy

LE
Not sure if this is the right forum but I thought I would share:

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/chelsea...ervice-records-collection-search-start.action

We've just added almost 100,000 new Chelsea Pensioners British Army Service Records for 1855-1872 to findmypast.co.uk. You can now search 96,434 records and 437,825 images for this period.

This new batch of records brings the total amount of Chelsea Pensioners records and images on findmypast.co.uk to 506,870 records and 3,196,935 images.

What makes the Chelsea Pensioners records so special?

The records offer a huge amount of detail such as next of kin, profession, physical appearance, some medical information and service history. Each record has at least four images and many have more than six.

The whole collection is vast. It comprises over 9 million full colour images of the service records of soldiers in the British Army who received a pension administered by The Royal Hospital Chelsea, and who were discharged between 1760 and 1913.

This is the third set of Chelsea Pensioners records we've published: you can already search 97,515 records for 1873-1882 and 312,909 records for 1883-1900 on findmypast.co.uk. You can find more detailed information about these and future releases on our Chelsea Pensioners search page.
You can find out what your ancestors actually looked like. There are detailed descriptions of their physical appearance including any distinguishing features like tattoos or scars.

Many of the soldiers listed may have served in some of Britain's most significant wars, including the Battle of Waterloo (1815), the Crimean (1853-1856) and both Boer Wars (1899-1902). Many citizens were in the army during this period and it is highly possible that your ancestors are included in these records. Even if you don't think you have any Chelsea Pensioner ancestors, try searching the records - your ancestor may have only served in the army for a short time before they were pensioned out.
Many Irish and colonial soldiers served in the British Army in this period so you could find information on relatives you can't find elsewhere. Find out more about army life during the period.

Many other military records provide information about officer-class soldiers; however, these records relate to other ranks. This makes it more likely that you will be able to find details about your ancestors.

Fantastic stuff! Glad to see someone has the time to put together records like this - will be joining soon!

Bollock-chops said:
Is there any way, or any where to search for free?
I don't think so. If I understand it correctly, the Public Records Office has created an online "National Archive" nby digitising a mass of civil and military records, but it is not searchable by you (Mr Joe Public), except through the good offices of one or other 3rd party services (e.g. Ancestry.co.uk) - although you can get a 14 day free membership from some of these, which might offer sufficient time to do what you need.

Alternatively, I think you can still rock up in person, and search the originals (at Kew?), but even if you don't have to hike all the way from Sheffield, that ain't ferzackerly gratis, either.

I don't think so. If I understand it correctly, the Public Records Office has created an online "National Archive" nby digitising a mass of civil and military records, but it is not searchable by you (Mr Joe Public), except through the good offices of one or other 3rd party services (e.g. Ancestry.co.uk) - although you can get a 14 day free membership from some of these, which might offer sufficient time to do what you need.

Alternatively, I think you can still rock up in person, and search the originals (at Kew?), but even if you don't have to hike all the way from Sheffield, that ain't ferzackerly gratis, either.
As Stonker says you can access the records for free at the National Archive, also "some" local authority libraries, or local history centres provide access, again for free, you need to have a look at your local centres website and see what they provide, alternatively if you want to find out the details of an individual, pop me a PM and I will see what I can do, no promises and I'm not doing free searches for half of ARRSE!!!