500,000 records online of ex-soldiers

Discussion in 'ARRSE Social, Events & Networking' started by Mr Happy, Jun 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Not sure if this is the right forum but I thought I would share:

2. Fantastic stuff! Glad to see someone has the time to put together records like this - will be joining soon!
  3. Is there any way, or any where to search for free?
  4. I don't think so. If I understand it correctly, the Public Records Office has created an online "National Archive" nby digitising a mass of civil and military records, but it is not searchable by you (Mr Joe Public), except through the good offices of one or other 3rd party services (e.g. Ancestry.co.uk) - although you can get a 14 day free membership from some of these, which might offer sufficient time to do what you need.

Alternatively, I think you can still rock up in person, and search the originals (at Kew?), but even if you don't have to hike all the way from Sheffield, that ain't ferzackerly gratis, either.
  5. As Stonker says you can access the records for free at the National Archive, also "some" local authority libraries, or local history centres provide access, again for free, you need to have a look at your local centres website and see what they provide, alternatively if you want to find out the details of an individual, pop me a PM and I will see what I can do, no promises and I'm not doing free searches for half of ARRSE!!!