50 Years of Sea King in UK service

Don't forget the HH52. The mini-Sea King.

7411033304_3ab650048f_o.jpg

wafubustard

War Hero
@BuckFelize

That tiger faced 814 cab came on board the Lusty at one stage whilst 820 were on there. By the time it flew off again it had a distinct bozz eyed look about it.

And here are a few of my interactions..."All Hail The Mighty King"1

008.jpg

Rescue 177 Landing at the SECC...too big for the Heliport

DSC02066.JPG

Rescue 137 in Glencoe

DSC02087.JPG

A Culdrose Seaking below me at the clifftops on the Lizard

I always thought the Coastguard and offshore cabs looked extra long....

The Sea King HAS1/2/5/6 was a very important part of our anti submarine warfare capability which was one of our key contributions to NATO. In a way it was the aircraft that kept the RN in the carrier game due to being operated from ships large enough to operate Sea Harrier.

Unlike previous ASW helicopters it could carry both sonar and weapons.
Well both Whirlwind , Wessex carried sonar, torpedoes, depth charges and even likes of SS-11/AS-12 missiles, but yes you are right in a way as the Wasp only carried torpedos and SS-11/AS-12 but no dipping sonar.

Cheers

Don't forget the HH52. The mini-Sea King.

View attachment 485631
The good old S-62, the first amphibian helo, only mass operator was the USCG till replaced by the HH-65 Dolphin. Likes of SFO Airlines in San Francisco used it in the late 60s/early 70s and offshore operators such as South African Court used its. Thai and Japanese military used it

Intteresting enough in 1959, the S-62 was demo'd over here in Uk trying to attract the up and coming offshore marketplace and one landed in the Thames to demonstrate its amphibious hull from this excellent book on the S-62/HH-52.

F4747678-7DB5-4252-9D10-E5B13B9E16F1.jpeg
C55C462F-B27C-4F8B-8CD5-2A2E8C9E0DE6.jpeg

cheers

Last edited:
Well both Whirlwind , Wessex carried sonar, torpedoes, depth charges and even likes of SS-11/AS-12 missiles, but yes you are right in a way as the Wasp only carried torpedos and SS-11/AS-12 but no dipping sonar.

Cheers
I think what Yokel means is that the sea king was the first that could carry both weapons and sonar together,
rather than either weapons or sonar, but not both at the same time

Yokel

LE
I think what Yokel means is that the sea king was the first that could carry both weapons and sonar together,
rather than either weapons or sonar, but not both at the same time
Yes that is exactly what I meant. I am not sure how much larger the Sea King was than the Wessex HAS1/3 (think of the deck and hangar space it took), but if you have the same number of aircraft having an aircraft that could do both adds to versatility, and means that the one that detects an enemy submarine can attack it without having to wait for an armed one.....

Latest Threads