50 Years of Sea King in UK service

maritime

Old-Salt
Loadlifting 29cdo ashore. Pingers and shars were kicked off and embarked junglies for 6 weeks. We went to emergency stations about 3am one morning. Anchored in a fjord and cable snapped/gave way and ship grounded ashore.
Webp.net-resizeimage (4).jpg

NSP

LE
Here's a few of my encounters over the years to commemorate this august occasion...

Coastguard heli07.jpg

Coastguard heli08.jpg

Coastguard Sea King and me.jpg

Coastguard Sea King3.jpg

Sea King02.jpg

Sea King03.jpg

Sea King06.jpg

Sea King09.jpg

Sea King12.jpg

@Guns would have been the right person to answer, but I am sure the Canadian Government took the decision last year to expand their fleet. One of the major problems for Merlin in UK service has been a lack of spares - we have to hope that during a crisis the suppliers would be able to produce the goods.
Is that because it munches through spares compared to its contempories or because we skimped on spending enough on support?

Yokel

LE
Is that because it munches through spares compared to its contempories or because we skimped on spending enough on support?
Probably because HMG decided to skimp on them as easy hanging fruit to save costs, plus the way HM Treasury charges Government departments for keeping stocks of spares.

Sinilar concerns were expressed in the late eighties about the Challenger MBT, but it performed well in 1991.

Last edited:

NSP

LE
Another from my collection...

Sea King.jpg

D,an forgot I also had these photos of 845 ‘Baggers’ from Waddo Airshow 2011.

Heres an interesting tit bit, .pre ASac7 days NATO were not happy about the lack of secure data Transfer during exercises and I read that the ‘Baggers’ were not invited to the table.

cheers

5C890A13-D19B-423B-A213-A20AB7BE6851.jpeg

Yokel

LE
Another from my collection...

View attachment 484991
an but these are civilian built up Sikorsky S-61N
They are. Is there any reason why Westlands could not produce civilian versions of the Sea King for things like supporting the offshore oil and gas industry? Did the licence from Sikorsky only allow them to build military versions?

Not so many years ago S-61s were being operated on behalf on the Coast Guard, alongside RN Sea Kings in ASW, Commando, AEW, and SAR roles, and the RAF had SAR ones, so why were the civilian SAR aircraft made in the US, when Westlands were exporting ASW and SAR Sea Kings?

They are. Is there any reason why Westlands could not produce civilian versions of the Sea King for things like supporting the offshore oil and gas industry? Did the licence from Sikorsky only allow them to build military versions?

Not so many years ago S-61s were being operated on behalf on the Coast Guard, alongside RN Sea Kings in ASW, Commando, AEW, and SAR roles, and the RAF had SAR ones, so why were the civilian SAR aircraft made in the US, when Westlands were exporting ASW and SAR Sea Kings?
easy ...because Sikorsky didn’t outsource or made it so the S-61 produced under license Whereas likes of then Agusta manufactured S-61 as they AS-61d for Italia Marina or Italian Air Force as HH-3G Pelican ..AG same token in Japan...Mitsubishi produced under license as the HsS-2 atthe time of the 70s/80s. But in effect they were H-3 platforms not the offshore commercial S-61N.

Dont forget the Sea King in our service was originally one or Two Us produced then Rest produced Under license.

Then again the HMCG S61N were taken from the Bristow Offshore S-61N pool.

it is how the industry is ..

Also in late 90s till now, likes of Carson, Erickson Aircrane et al converting ex USN SH-3 airframes and probably former Royal Danish Air Force S-61 into commercially viable logging or aerial firefighting platforms into S-61 Shortsky with fixed undercarriage. Example below my photos of Carson S-61 at Heli Esport 2008 in Houston, with Thales digital cockpit.

cheers

CA004ECE-42FE-423E-A2E7-1CC703737D20.jpeg
F9E41B60-F0C0-4CD7-A953-603B69F87D2C.jpeg
B04C8E0D-EBEC-446C-A786-02A5B88FE28E.jpeg

cheers

Last edited:

Yokel

LE
easy ...because Sikorsky didn’t outsource or made it so the S-61 produced under license Whereas likes of then Agusta manufactured S-61 as they AS-61d for Italia Marina or Italian Air Force as HH-3G Pelican ..AG same token in Japan...Mitsubishi produced under license as the HsS-2 atthe time of the 70s/80s. But in effect they were H-3 platforms not the offshore commercial S-61N.

Dont forget the Sea King in our service was originally one or Two Us produced then Rest produced Under license.

Then again the HMCG S61N were taken from the Bristow Offshore S-61N pool.

it is how the industry is ..

Also in late 90s till now, likes of Carson, Erickson Aircrane et al converting ex USN SH-3 airframes and probably former Royal Danish Air Force S-61 into commercially viable logging or aerial firefighting platforms into S-61 Shortsky with fixed undercarriage. Example below my photos of Carson S-61 at Heli Esport 2008 in Houston, with Thales digital cockpit.

cheers

View attachment 485215View attachment 485216View attachment 485217

cheers
So the S-61 was a different beast to the Sea King? It does appear quite similar. It just seemed odd that Westland Sea Kings were exported widely but the domestic civil market was US supplied.

There is a Haynes guide to the Sea King - a Royal Navy SAR cab from 771 NAS. I suspect something like a late eighties HAS5 or nineties HAS6 would be a bit sensitive.

So the S-61 was a different beast to the Sea King? It does appear quite similar. It just seemed odd that Westland Sea Kings were exported widely but the domestic civil market was US supplied.

There is a Haynes guide to the Sea King - a Royal Navy SAR cab from 771 NAS. I suspect something like a late eighties HAS5 or nineties HAS6 would be a bit sensitive.

nope just the S-61L/N Commercial model and it is Longer than the average Sea King)...S-61 is the manufacturers designation across the board ....

US Navy. Designation..SH-3A/D/G/H or CSAR HH-3A or utility UH-3H

USMC HmX-1 presidential Vh-3A/D (army briefly also involved with executive flight detachment so had VH-3A)

USAF had handful of the original SH-3 designated as the CH-3B to support the off shore DEW Line And test activities in Hawaii. One Ch-3B based at Otis AFB nicknamed Otis Falcon was first helicopter to cross the Atlantic in 1963 just in time for Paris Air Show

926E42F9-FDAD-470C-807C-F45DE3084A65.jpeg

Then the CH-3C/ HH-3C Jolly Green with enlarged cargo cabin, rear ramp, refuelling probe for cargo / SAR, CSAR ,And even especially ops MH-3E (used by reserve unit From Davis-Monthan in combat for last time during Desert Storm)

Four years later frost non stop trans Atlantic crossing by HH-3 Jolly Green Giant again

There were some experimental high speed compounds such as NH-3A

E674ECF3-FF23-4C47-83DD-11814032D349.jpeg

Also the S-72 Rotor Systems Research Aircraft High speed compound used existing Sikorsky S-61 main rotor, an S-61 roller gearbox.

3622779D-DAFA-4FD8-A3A4-5550B030005F.jpeg

Anyhow lot of countries like Italy which manufactured s-61 under license by Agusta and exported some as ASH-61 or their Air Force used AS-61R or designated as HH-3F Pelican (my photos below of Italian air Force Pelicsn at RIAT 2007)

E1EB99D5-FC27-4393-8A81-9FA4BE7024CA.jpeg

Some countries like Peru..their navy usedS/UH-3H , or Spanish Navy with the SH-3D etc etc

cheers

wafubustard

War Hero
Here are a few from my collection.
norway 063.jpg
afghan and christmas 09 050.jpg
afghan and christmas 09 044.jpg
norway 111.jpg

Yokel

LE
nope just the S-61L/N Commercial model and it is Longer than the average Sea King)...S-61 is the manufacturers designation across the board ....

US Navy. Designation..SH-3A/D/G/H or CSAR HH-3A or utility UH-3H

USMC HmX-1 presidential Vh-3A/D (army briefly also involved with executive flight detachment so had VH-3A)

USAF had handful of the original SH-3 designated as the CH-3B to support the off shore DEW Line And test activities in Hawaii. One Ch-3B based at Otis AFB nicknamed Otis Falcon was first helicopter to cross the Atlantic in 1963 just in time for Paris Air Show

View attachment 485296
Then the CH-3C/ HH-3C Jolly Green with enlarged cargo cabin, rear ramp, refuelling probe for cargo / SAR, CSAR ,And even especially ops MH-3E (used by reserve unit From Davis-Monthan in combat for last time during Desert Storm)

Four years later frost non stop trans Atlantic crossing by HH-3 Jolly Green Giant again

There were some experimental high speed compounds such as NH-3A

View attachment 485300

Also the S-72 Rotor Systems Research Aircraft High speed compound used existing Sikorsky S-61 main rotor, an S-61 roller gearbox.

View attachment 485303

Anyhow lot of countries like Italy which manufactured s-61 under license by Agusta and exported some as ASH-61 or their Air Force used AS-61R or designated as HH-3F Pelican (my photos below of Italian air Force Pelicsn at RIAT 2007)

View attachment 485306

Some countries like Peru..their navy usedS/UH-3H , or Spanish Navy with the SH-3D etc etc

cheers
I always thought the Coastguard and offshore cabs looked extra long....

The Sea King HAS1/2/5/6 was a very important part of our anti submarine warfare capability which was one of our key contributions to NATO. In a way it was the aircraft that kept the RN in the carrier game due to being operated from ships large enough to operate Sea Harrier.

Unlike previous ASW helicopters it could carry both sonar and weapons.

Some shots from RIAT 97/98. 97 was a Tiger Meet. I last saw that HAS6 at the IWM.

20200628_162046.jpg
20200628_162154.jpg