50 Years of Sea King in UK service

Sticky847

Swinger
I grew up around Culdrose in the 70s with the air full of Sea Kings and then joined up and briefly worked on them, now XV666 ( or Damien) flies from the old osprey site at Portland and I still see her as I live in Weymouth, I wonder if I’ll go before they do!

I can remember the Sea King from my time in Shawbury '78-'79. I have this everlasting image in my mind of a Sea King taking off very close to me on the airfield, climbing to around 50ft and then translating into forward flight, right past me, with me thinking I hope that the fires don't go out now.
Happy Birthday and get some time in. Still younger than me!

I grew up around Culdrose in the 70s with the air full of Sea Kings and then joined up and briefly worked on them, now XV666 ( or Damien) flies from the old osprey site at Portland and I still see her as I live in Weymouth, I wonder if I’ll go before they do!
And also continuing here are my photos of Heli Operations international SK at Farnborough 2018.

As peeps know they have contract to train the German Marineflieger SK crews for now ..till the NH90 Sea Lion is in full swing.

cheers

17C68A11-54CA-4126-A8F6-06B5B5DFFA16.jpeg
762A2064-8663-47C9-917A-209B9B7497F4.jpeg

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
never understood why we didn't just make new ones instead of that merlin abortion.

some things just work, like the C130 and Harrier.

Yokel

LE
I can remember the Sea King from my time in Shawbury '78-'79. I have this everlasting image in my mind of a Sea King taking off very close to me on the airfield, climbing to around 50ft and then translating into forward flight, right past me, with me thinking I hope that the fires don't go out now.
Happy Birthday and get some time in. Still younger than me!
It left RN/RAF Search And Rescue service when military SAR came to an end the ASaCs cabs of 849 retired late that year.

It sometimes gets forgotten that it was originally purchased for a frontline role, anti submarine warfare flying ftom carriers or other ships.

never understood why we didn't just make new ones instead of that merlin abortion.

some things just work, like the C130 and Harrier.
Time moves on - as does technology. Are you claiming a Sea King HAS6 (final ASW version) was more capable than a Merlin HM1/2 - including range and speed. Is Merlin HC4 less capable that the Jungly Sea King HC4?

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
It left RN/RAF Search And Rescue service when military SAR came to an end the ASaCs cabs of 849 retired late that year.

It sometimes gets forgotten that it was originally purchased for a frontline role, anti submarine warfare flying ftom carriers or other ships.

Time moves on - as does technology. Are you claiming a Sea King HAS6 (final ASW version) was more capable than a Merlin HM1/2 - including range and speed. Is Merlin HC4 less capable that the Jungly Sea King HC4?
is that the merlin that failed to meet its design brief and was rejected by US as a sea king replacement for certain high profile jobs?

or have they made another one that can fly on two engines without falling out of the sky?

another waste of time when off the shelf was better and cheaper.

not saying it was perfect or the most up to date but it was a workhorse from an era where stuff worked even when it shouldn't

newer is not always better and stuff from a certain procurement era have not proven to be very good.

Always thought Sea King was a great name, like SpitFire and BA call-sign Speedbird (esp on Concorde)

We do seem to be good with names

Yokel

LE
is that the merlin that failed to meet its design brief and was rejected by US as a sea king replacement for certain high profile jobs?

or have they made another one that can fly on two engines without falling out of the sky?

not saying it was perfect or the most up to date but it was a workhorse from an era where stuff worked even when it shouldn't

newer is not always better and stuff from a certain procurement era have not proven to be very good.
Stop listening to Photex!

Do you really think Americsn politicians were ever going to be happy with a foreign design being the Presidential transport?

You have not answered my question - are Merlin HM2 or Merlin HC4 less capable than the Sea King verients they replaced?

First time I nearly shat myself on tour was in a Sea King.

Herrick 9, heading out from Bastion to FOB Delhi, Garmsir - my first tour, and first time outside the wire. I have an uncanny knack of falling asleep in any vehicle that I'm not in control of, almost instantly - vehicle-induced narcolepsy if you will.

Anyway, I had my napper firmly down when after an unknown amount of time I suddenly awoke to hear the GPMG (about 5 feet away) rattling off a belt of 50-ish rounds. I woke up like a startled puppy - nearly sh*tting myself as I tried to grab my rifle, look around and work out whether I was going to get my balls shot off by an angry Arab somewhere below.

It took me a shamefully long time to recognise what the words 'testing the guns' that were being mouthed at me actually meant.

is that the Merlin that failed to meet its design brief and was rejected by US as a sea king replacement for certain high profile jobs?
No, that was the VH-71. You've got to let Lockheed-Martin and Bell put it together, and use General Electric engines, and they won't tell you what kit they're going to put into it, because Security.

Once they've changed their minds several times about how much sexy comms kit, armour, and DASS they're going to load it up with (can't tell you, y'all are foreigners); they're going to complain that it's now too expensive.

Then they're going to cancel it, and buy a Proper Amurrican Helicopter, Hell Yeah. Which they then spend a fortune fitting out to discover loads of problems with the VH-92

VXX- program costs kept escalating because of moving goalposts, new euqipment fit as the Secret Service wanted X, Y, Z....

Also around the same time then AW was promoting the 101 as the HH71 CSAR platform for repacking the HH-60G (which in 06 the USAF selected the Boeing HH-47X. But that decision got changed around).

The 28 Sqn mount which went on USA tour (Including fly by of NYC) in 2004 part of the VXX program was not just there for NaVAIr pleasure but it went to visit Air Combat Command Hq at Langley AFB, Patrick AFB, and Thr Coast Guard at CGAS Clearwater .The OC of 28 Sqn went on if not flew their mount in USA on that visit. Sat on the same committee as him and now he’s. VSO.

There was also a dedicated website called HH-71.com

Cheera

FBAA12E6-EEC2-4FFC-91A9-C58DAA6B4694.jpeg
D4530566-C6E6-48B4-A0B3-AA553A885651.jpeg
3B61E90B-834F-4916-8A9B-8F67FDD3A1A7.jpeg
3A6A3EE8-6573-410A-BC50-19A6B1E319E4.jpeg

From what I have seen of the Merlin, I would hardly describe it as reliable. Didn't the Canadians buy the US airframes for spares?

Niamac

GCM
Always a comforting sight when hill-walking.

1592993102324.png

Yokel

LE
From what I have seen of the Merlin, I would hardly describe it as reliable. Didn't the Canadians buy the US airframes for spares?
@Guns would have been the right person to answer, but I am sure the Canadian Government took the decision last year to expand their fleet. One of the major problems for Merlin in UK service has been a lack of spares - we have to hope that during a crisis the suppliers would be able to produce the goods.

No, that was the VH-71. You've got to let Lockheed-Martin and Bell put it together, and use General Electric engines, and they won't tell you what kit they're going to put into it, because Security.

Once they've changed their minds several times about how much sexy comms kit, armour, and DASS they're going to load it up with (can't tell you, y'all are foreigners); they're going to complain that it's now too expensive.

Then they're going to cancel it, and buy a Proper Amurrican Helicopter, Hell Yeah. Which they then spend a fortune fitting out to discover loads of problems with the VH-92
just twigged I’ve seen the First VH-71 trials Merlin airframe and also used as BERP IV blade trials, and AAR ..oh and plus movie star in skyfall. My photos from 100 Years of AW back in July 2015.

cheers

CEAE2C69-2104-4BEF-A64F-78533BEB13EE.jpeg
0B041F7D-3F20-4183-96C8-4A05833BA004.jpeg
8F23514E-D231-43C3-B9D6-34711DAED785.jpeg

Was on the weapons clearance trials '70 /' 71,never got a flight. Trailed around after them in a Wasp, or on RAF pinnace in Falmouth Bay. Watching things dropping off.
CFB

Latest Threads