50% of veterans live on £10,000

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Speedy, Nov 10, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Here is a paste from the closing line of the article:

The Commons is due to observe a two minutes' silence on Friday in remembrance of those who gave their lives for the country.

F*cking hypocrites!

2. typical story, asked to give their all in the country's time of need, then forgotten.

Ring any bells?

3. yes, all give and no return. I agree. Very sad............

4. I have a wife, and two children with all the added bits to my war pension my weekly amount is £229.00.

This is more than adequate to live on ....... until something goes wrong, you cannot get easy credit, as you are classed as unemployed, so you must wait until you have the cash before you can repair/replace the washing machine, car parts etc. (Where I live you need a car, bus ride of 8 miles is £3.95 return).

Also I (and every other WP)only get free perscriptions for thier 'war pensionable disability' which means I pay for everything else, glasses, dentist, antibiotics when i get ill and all my wifes perscriptions, you get the picture. Some people I know (same family size)are on unemployment or incapacity benefit plus the new version of income support, get almost exactly the same amount of money as my family, but they get free perscriptions, school meals etc.

I know I am one of the lucky ones that does get a decent war pension, I have met at Combat Stress some of those that are not, People who are already suicidal driven further done that road by worrying how they were going to pay the next bill.

If I lost all the extras added onto my weekly war pension I would recieve as my pension around £52.00 per week.

I wish I could afford to play and win the lottery ... good bye ol' England..... the place where you are used .... abused ..... and discarded.

J

5. At the risk of getting flamed here... The story actually quotes a disposable income of £10k per year. That is ten thousand after bills are paid (unless the beeb have been remiss in their phraseology).

I wouldn't have thought that was too bad myself.

6. personaly cant see how an old vet is going to have a disposable lump sum of 10k, after a 40 hour week, with over time, i doubt i'd have that either

7. Nor do I which is why I made the point.

While 10k per annum is no great amount of money these days it's more or less what an adult will receive while making "national minimum wage" so while I do sympathise I don't see much in the way of popular support for any major increase.

YMMV

8. Makes one wonder why sum of us have to rough it in dens of eniquity.
    john
    My army pension basically pays for my life style. But I do have enough of a 'Stash' ta keep me out of The Royal Hospital for Pensioners (Chelsea). Buisness class ta UK on next leave.
    Poor John

9. The British Legion Report says 'Net Income' of £10,000 which is after tax only is deducted. Not 'Disposable' which suggests Rent/Rates/Heating & other bills are paid as well.... The BBC is at fault here for making a wrong assumption, or not knowing the differance!

In fact I class disposable income as after weekly food bills have been paid as well!