50% of UK deer "need to be culled"

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by fozzy, Mar 7, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 2
  1. venison is 'flooding' the high-end buthers around the Wyre Forest, and its selling out every week - my butcher is supplied by a chap who has a licence to shoot half a dozen Deer in the forest every week, and he says that he could sell 3 times as much without as much as a sign outside saying 'venison available'.

my 2yo loves it, which is both great, and a disturbing indication of her having expensive tastes...

2. Have ordered a larger freezer in anticipation of my firearms licence. Target rich round here. Yum Yum.

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The study was localised around Thetford which skews results nationally but as we have different laws in England to Scotland it is almost impossible to force culling on landowners. The problem also exists where herding derr transit through causing damage but the local family grouping resident deer get culled as blamed for the damage. It also needs the FC to stop letting licenses and offer proper full time jobs to professional deer managers!

• Like Like x 6
  4. "The researchers from the University of East Anglia suggest creating a venison market to make a cull ethically and economically acceptable."

Creating a venison market eh.

The reserchers are obviously ontop of their game.

• Like Like x 2
  5. They are out of control on the Ashdown Forest in E Sussex, I drive over the forest every morning on the way to work and it's getting to be dangerous with them running out in front of you, normally in herd size. Not sure a cull would sort this problem out though.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Years of restringent firearms policy, applied willfully by fuckwitted PCs with no understanding whatsoever of country matters, is damaging forestry and farm yields and also the health of the game, who ever would have thought of that?

• Like Like x 13
  7. Call it Bambi instead of venison. I give it less than two years... ...I trust that you've already got a pet rabbit?

8. Landowners are also at fault, 'deer rights' are flogged off to syndicates, most of whose members can barely bother their arses to get out once a year.

• Like Like x 2
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Fencing would work, fence the A22 between Nutley and Forest row = job done!

• Like Like x 3
  10. In terms of Venison are all the breeds good eating? Some better than others, just not worth the bother? I'm thinking of the smaller Muntjac type here.

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Down year delete PC and insert former traffic wardens etc but nail on head regarding force firearms managers in general

12. Are the deer as inbred as some of the locals...I know which I would rather see culled.

Rodney2q

• Like Like x 1
  13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Oh and dont forget the DI and BASC have vested financial interests in forcing everyone down a mandatory training and competence road. That and FC requirements for licences are ridiculous in the main. A little effort on behalf of the landowners and county councils regarding fencing liabilities would reduce the RTA figures, stop planting trees at the edge of dual carriageways, create clear zones with no trees for about 100 yards euther side of new builds allowing drivers time and distance to see the hazards and avoid them!
    There really is no need to cull, a couple of really severe winters coupled with some sensible management would see natures balance restored.

• Like Like x 2
  14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Some folk reckon they can tell the difference, most chefs drown it in sauce or sozzle it in booze both unnecessary and wasteful of both booze and venison. Munty tastes nice!