50 new Apaches Inbound

Strictly-speaking, is it probably not actually a Boeing aircraft painted up in IAF colours (given the US civvy registration)?
I could be wrong but till they are actually handed over and delivered they carry U.S. temp regs....I've seen this on many ac when delivering to foreign nations.

I could be wrong but till they are actually handed over and delivered they carry U.S. temp regs....I've seen this on many ac when delivering to foreign nations.
That makes sense, cheers.

Strictly-speaking, is it probably not actually a Boeing aircraft painted up in IAF colours (given the US civvy registration)?
The photo appears to have been taken during the handover ceremony at Mesa, Arizona so I’m unsure whether the aircraft had officially been signed for or not. However, it’s not without precedent for foreign aircraft to retain US registrations and even markings while in the US.

For instance, these are examples of Luftwaffe F-4Fs, paid for by the West German govt but operated from George and Holloman AFB for the training of Luftwaffe crews.

So it may well be that the Indian AH-64s will retain their civilian registrations while they operate in the US, whether handed over or not.

Regards,
MM

That's not a US civil registration. That's IN320, and IAF reg.
Underneath the fuselage IN serial is a temporary US civilian registration, N39305.

Regards,
MM

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
I've said this before and I will say it again, the Indian AF over the last few years have amazed me with such a mish mash of American, French and Russian stuff - they used to be all Russian. And throw in Ukrainian and Israeli upgrades and what not along with the domestic stuff, Christ! Logistics...

They have been gradually shifting over to the U.S. stuff in recent times.

History- back in the Cold War period US snuggled up to Pakistan....Pentagon was convinced that as a leading nation in the Non-Aligned Movement India wasn't to be trusted with Western Hi-tech, as ( of course) it would be in that there Mos gow within a week.

They also have a long, LONG history of kidding Western manufacturers along while attempting to develop an in-house version [ qv Arjun MBT and LCA?]

Given that it takes a year of queueing to get an annual season tikkut from Poona to Trivandrum (via Madras), and five years to get a driving licence in India, indigenous advanced weaponry projects tend to run into the sands of Rajasthan....

M-D must have employed some seriously adept greasers to have got this one signed......Bofors anyone ?

Oooh, don't mind if I do.....trebles all round !

[Are we shure? Shome exaggeration shurely ? Plse spk.Ed ]

Last edited:
UK does something similar, I believe. Here's a RSAF Hawk:

Wearing ZJ109

As I recall, is it not a fairly standard thing for aircraft to be delivered from their country of manufacture with the delivery country’s codes on them? I’ve seen plenty of F-16s coded thus over the years.

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
I'm surprised you aviation types pay so much attention to tail numbers, registrations etc given that I've lost count of the amount of times you've taken the "wrong cab" and f**ked up our maintenance planner.

Or could it be you knew all along which cab you were supposed to fly the hours off, but went for the one with nicer cushions and better air con instead? :nod:

I'm surprised you aviation types pay so much attention to tail numbers, registrations etc given that I've lost count of the amount of times you've taken the "wrong cab" and f**ked up our maintenance planner.

Or could it be you knew all along which cab you were supposed to fly the hours off, but went for the one with nicer cushions and better air con instead? :nod:
Not guilty. But then again I wasn’t commissioned...

Edit: just remember at one of my sqns (662 Münster IIRC) the techs cut out footprints in dayglo fablon and laid then out to the flight commander’s aircraft so he’d take the correct one for a change.

Last edited:

Not me guv'nor. I haven't authed for a cab to airtest, signed for a different one, and flown a third by mistake. Oh no, not me! Nor did the air tech accompanying me say it was the wrong cab either, oh no. Nor did the techs BFI the wrong cab, and the groundies push out another for a dawn task. Oh no. But, people in glasshouses, etc. :)

Fair point, well-presented. But what fun!

Not me guv'nor. I haven't authed for a cab to airtest, signed for a different one, and flown a third by mistake. Oh no, not me! Nor did the air tech accompanying me say it was the wrong cab either, oh no. Nor did the techs BFI the wrong cab, and the groundies push out another for a dawn task. Oh no. But, people in glasshouses, etc. :)
Monday morning tasking in BAOR aviation units. I think that's why 4 Regt started the week with a Regimental jaunt around the airfield.

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Nope... Never serviced the wrong cab, me.

Got on the wrong one - yes.

BLMF 2005, quick hop to Sarajevo to do some drinking eating sleeping vital monthly QA checks. The taxi service was split between Swiss Air Super-Pumas, Romulan Slo-cats and The Mighty Lynx Mk7s...

"Yep that's your cab over there - they're waiting for you bud". Studies guy's "fella-hand" for a nanosecond, gets a general jist of where he's pointing...

Nice. Jumps in to the Slo-cat with a few Romulans on board. Thought to myself at the time, "How could these guys know I was coming?" Ah well. Sits there, making facial expressions and shruggy shoulders in response to the "raga-dagga-dagga" Romanian gobbledegook being spouted.

Weird see-through Blue Peter stylie auxiliary fuel tank wotsit in the back where passenger seats would normally be... Half way there, the smell of fuel probably leaking through the aux fuel tank, which by the way, looks suspiciously like the same plastic they use on milk cartons ...pilots spark up some proper honking Romulan ciggies. Then a pack gets handed around in the back. I'm thinking about jumping into the fuel tank for some cleaner air at this point.

Point No.2 - it seems our Romanian friends like to follow roads rather than rely on GPS, landmarks, flying on a bearing etc. Bank here, bank there, look up, hold onto your guts, fag smoke, fuel smell...

Eventually arrive on the pad at Sarajevo to my oppo's surprise. "Where the f**k were you? We told the Ops room we were waiting for you in the Swiss Air cab?"

Despite setting off late thinking I was a no-show, they'd arrived about 30 mins prior to me ready to witness me emerge from the flying rust bucket in proper clip. Didn't throw up though.

Somehow.