50 new Apaches Inbound

This is Money said:
Britain is poised to buy 50 US-made Apache attack helicopters for £425 million, dealing a blow to the UK's last helicopter maker, Somerset-based AgustaWestland.

Defence Secretary Michael Fallon is expected to announce the order at the Farnborough airshow in July.

The Boeing Apaches are part of a larger order of 240 helicopters being placed mainly for the US Army.

US sources said this has allowed the UK to get a big discount. Each helicopter is believed to cost £8.5 million
MoD to buy 50 US-made Apache attack choppers from Boeing for £425m

If the figures are to be believed we've gone from $44 million to $8.5 million - not a bad discount.

It is though worth noting that This is Money is a Daily Mail production.

Last edited:
Not really WAH64 made sense - although it has ultimately been a dead end at the time it resulted in a more capable aircraft.

WAH64 Mk2 - doesn't make sense, Westland will probably still get work fitting UK specific systems (Comms DASS)

Fantastic, but harking back to the fall out over flying pay have we got the slop jockey to fly the bally things.
They could be coming to a big shed near you!

No.4 Mk.1

On ROPS
On ROPs
we've gone from $44 million to $8.5 million
Excuse my ignorance... something costing $44 million (our inflated cost / unit after we'd modified them last time) is now being bought (unmodified) for $8.5 million?

Something doesn't add up.

And what do we need 50 AH for? Something to stop the Russian hordes expanding maybe... ?

Excuse my ignorance... something costing $44 million (our inflated cost / unit after we'd modified them last time) is now being bought (unmodified) for $8.5 million?

And what do we need 50 AH for? Something to stop the Russian hordes expanding maybe... ?

Not the same variant. Some AAC type will be able to explain.

Its because it is an upgrade and refurb, rather than a new helo, and firthermore as its done in alginment with the US and other operators, we benefit from economies of scale.

I have very little sympathy for AW either...

I am going to now piddle on everyone's camp fire. Are we also buying the HELLFIRE, CRV - 7 rockets, 30mm cannon and air to air missiles to go with them?

Possibly because 8.5 Million is the unit cost vs 44 million project cost including the spares Training and modification package.

Its because it is an upgrade and refurb, rather than a new helo, and firthermore as its done in alginment with the US and other operators, we benefit from economies of scale.

I have very little sympathy for AW either...

I believe these are new builds offered as part of the US Armys huge order so we get their economies of scale.

Wastelands are not happy as they quoted twice the price Boeing quoted for new AH-64's to tart up the existing WAH-64's

Wastelands - ripping off the MOD with over expensive tat since 1940.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
[Thread drift - sorry!]

Westland Whirlwind, 1938-1943:

To give us top cover in case someone falls asleep on stag.

I believe these are new builds offered as part of the US Armys huge order so we get their economies of scale.

Wastelands are not happy as they quoted twice the price Boeing quoted for new AH-64's to tart up the existing WAH-64's

Wastelands - ripping off the MOD with over expensive tat since 1940
Really ? Hmm, Sea King, Scout, Whirlwind, Wessex ?
With due respect, that statements guff.

Really ? Hmm, Sea King, Scout, Whirlwind, Wessex ?
With due respect, that statements guff.
They produce helicopters and secure the local politicians majority. If they spent as much time building good kit as they do about bleating on to all and sundry about how important they are and how ripping us off is good for british jobs, they'd be world beaters....

Not really WAH64 made sense - although it has ultimately been a dead end at the time it resulted in a more capable aircraft.

WAH64 Mk2 - doesn't make sense, Westland will probably still get work fitting UK specific systems (Comms DASS)
It was very good. The problem is that no-one saw fit to ensure we got an uprated gearbox to make the best of the RTM engines. Had they done so, we might not be considering this latest AH-64.