50,000 less Media Studies degrees?

Wonder if we'll see a resurgence in trade skills.

Well at least the Hellograph got the title of their thread grammatically correct.

Who lead the Pedants' Revolt?

Which Tyler ;-)

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

More likely 50,000 fewer scientists and engineers. The easy programmes never fail to recruit to capacity.

I've always thought the degrees etc should be funded by a system of refund/repayment based on a. GCSE/A Level/other potential testing examinations b. worth of family and c. results of study.

ie a Straight A, first achievig student from a cash strapped family would pay much less than some brain dead moron from any of the financial strata.

Chuck in a cash incentive for the schools, and who knows what could happen.

Get rid of the sociology, Posh & Becks studies and other Mickey Mouse degrees and get some proper science, maths, engineering and medicine courses in.

More likely 50,000 fewer scientists and engineers. The easy programmes never fail to recruit to capacity.
Exactly. Maths, Chemistry, Physics, all in decline, all being sacrificed to Meeja Stuwdies. Some Universities have deliberately shut down Chemistry departments to pay for an expansion of Meeja bollocks degrees.

So sadly more likely to mean 50,000 less scientists and mathematicians, and proportionately more useless graduates incapable of thinking and whom virtually every graduate employer will weed out in assessment procedures.

Exactly. Maths, Chemistry, Physics, all in decline, all being sacrificed to Meeja Stuwdies. Some Universities have deliberately shut down Chemistry departments to pay for an expansion of Meeja bollocks degrees.

So sadly more likely to mean 50,000 less scientists and mathematicians, and proportionately more useless graduates incapable of thinking and whom virtually every graduate employer will weed out in assessment procedures.
As I understand it the Univesities recieved a bonus from central goverment for each sucessful student, as a way of making T. Blair look good. This is clearly much easier to achieve with such courses as media studies and political science as all that's required is the ability to read the set course work and cheaper for the Uni's as they don't have to invest in expensive equipment.

As I understand it the Univesities recieved a bonus from central goverment for each sucessful student, as a way of making T. Blair look good.
If they do, I haven't heard of it. I can't find anything online either. Would you mind providing a source?

If they do, I haven't heard of it. I can't find anything online either. Would you mind providing a source?
Sorry can't remember the source as I think I read it in one of the broadsheets back in 2010 when the fees were increased by the tories. I only remember it because I thought at the time and still do that it was a silly way to determin the fundiing of any institution let alone a university. If I'm wrong I'm Wrong but thats the best I can do.

As I understand it the Univesities recieved a bonus from central goverment for each sucessful student, as a way of making T. Blair look good. This is clearly much easier to achieve with such courses as media studies and political science as all that's required is the ability to read the set course work and cheaper for the Uni's as they don't have to invest in expensive equipment.
It was the other way around - there are financial penalties administered by the Higher Education Funding Council for low progression rates between years of study.

There are cash incentives for teaching high-cost technical subjects - higher levels of subsidy in addition to tuition fees, greater access to capital grants etc.

However the central problem with scientific subjects is that every student must have access to the correct equipment in order to learn. Many mickey-mouse degrees do not require this and students can be packed 800 to a lecture theatre (I have seen this!). So there is an economy of scale in such subjects that is not available for traditional subjects.

That and, of course, there is virtually an unlimited pool of morons vying for a place on a Meeja Degree.

"Part of the drop may be due to more people accepting places last year, UCAS said". Quote from article.

Wouldn't this suggest that students are accepting what they can get. Perhaps not a drop in students, just fewer using UCAS?

It's a good job that those with money can still afford to go to Uni otherwise the place would be empty eh!

I never got a degree as in my line of work (e-learning and multimedia/3d animation), they did not exist when I left school! I did a 3 year technical apprenticeship in Technical Illustration with a major oil firm once I have left the Army and got a job straight away. When computers first started to be used I moved into multimedia and the 3d animation side of things and either taught myself through hard work, or shared info with fellow animators. I managed to get a job lecturing in the subject at college and uni.

However, some 20 something years later I have been turned down for a couple of jobs, the reason being, I don't have a degree. I have been told to "just get a degree in something like Business Studies", and that will tick the box. So, with 20 years expereince they dont want to know, but a degree in an unrelated subject is fine.

I believe degrees have been devalued by business with many companies looking for that bit of paper thinking that 3-4 years "study" proves something. Having taught at Degree level and knowing that 3 days a week, with a total of 15 hours tuition does not equate to 5 days a week, 40 hours work for a paying client that has much higher expectations than a college or a Uni has.

Yes, I have a chip on my shoulder and I do resent having to pay a fortune to get a degree to prove I can do the job I have been doing for 20 years.

Don't jeer at fewer media studies students. Britain makes money from the creative industries.
Except, of course, that the majority of media studies students are most likely to ask clients questions like, "do you want fries with that". Most of the courses do not lead anywhere near any kind of media career IIRC from what I've read.

On the upside, McDonalds will have no staff shortages in the foreseeable future.
Never have had, read the name badges of the fit looking birds serving lately..??..all Polish/Lithuanian/Czech...and soon it will be peppered with Greek/Portugeese/Spanish..no room at the 'inn' for these 50,000..