5 weeks till basic at catterick! What should i focus on?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Fandangohxjg, Apr 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello again!

Recently recieved news that i start my basic on 6th May at Catterick Barracks. I have been doing a varied work out focusing on core strength and running. Is there any perticular excercise i can practice to give me a head start on the physical aspects of basic?

What are the press up and sit up requirements and run time needed for a green light in the tests during week one of phase one?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Nervous but eager! :D

2. Get some weight on your back, find a bigfcuk of hill (wales has loads) and get your little legs use to walking up the fcuker at speed. Running in soft dry sad is also good, so a big hill by a sandy beach will see you right!

3. What sort of distance should i be covering for running and what distance for the speed marching?

4. I am planning on joining up in August and I have been training for runs over 3-5 miles at a 8-9 mile pace and then between 1 and 2 miles at 6-7 minute pace.

As for hills.. as an avid hill walker I reccomend you find a hill (a big one.. go to Scotland, Wales or the Lake District and just climb it. Speed will come when your muscles get used to the activity. You can be as fit as you like but if your muscles are not used to hill walking you will be crap at it, so practice and speed will come naturally. As for getting up to speed marching speed I dont know about that.. maybe someone else will answer.

J.

5. Go out on the town, have a laugh with your civvy mates while you can still relate to them and try and do as much shagging as you can before you start basic.

Seriously mate, let of a bit of steam before you enter the factory, go on holiday to Magaluf or similar and have a blast.

6. Just had a good session circuit training at my local gym!

going to start this twice a week!

Does anyone know when the intial fitness tests take place during basic?

Is it during the first week and what is a green light pass?

7. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Now thats sound advice

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

X2 wish I had!

9. x3 that enjoy your civvy mates shag loads of birds enjoy the spare time, because soon you will be busy doing all the fitness training.

10. benchmarks (correct me if im wrong people):
    - 1.5 mile run=10mins 30 secs
    - Pressups=50
    - Situps=50
    - CFT=8miles 1.5hr, 25kg on your back (inc weapon, webbing, lid etc)

theyll get you fit, you dont need to be superman, wear your boots in though and get some decent insoles.
    SG is right though, all work and no play etc etc

11. Try at least 4 times a week mate - no less.

BT. :)

12. Will take all the advice!

13. just start running, running and more running!!!

14. You must be Stevie Wonder because if you looked you'd see he has already been there a month!

15. HAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA