5.56x45mm to be Replaced by 7.62x51mm?

pongo6863

RIP
RIP
I know this has been done to death but now the Daily Wail has come out on our side:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-claiming-shoot-wound-policy-lives-risk.html

It's always amazed me that no one has published (as far as I can ascertain) a definitive 'rounds to kill/maim enough to remove from combat' analysis for all current and projected (.280" or 7mm?) round sizes.

From what I've read and heard from lads recently retuned from 'far away places with strange sounding names' it takes between two and four hits with 5.56x45mm which weigh 11.8g each. So it takes an all up weight of between 23.6g and 47.2g to incapacitate.

A 7.62x51mm round weighs 25.4g, only a little more than two 'pea shooter' rounds so the old 'not so much weight to carry' reason is a load of hyena offal!

Alamo

LE
Assuming you mean for the standard rifle then No. The US have absolutely no intention of doing so, and neither, therefore, will we.

pongo6863

RIP
RIP
Pongo you're going to have some very angry young men with calibre envy on here any minute now - you know that right?
I'm already grinning! Actually I didn't like the ArmaLite we tested in Borneo back in the '60s...

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

verticalgyro

MIA
DirtyBAT
I know this has been done to death but now the Daily Wail has come out on our side:

Why do you suggest that everyone wants 7.62 in a personal weapon?

Have all the other threads passed you by? Particularly the ones where people who have used 5.56 in anger have spoken of their experiences?

I am hoping you have personal experience of using both 7.62 and 5.56 in battle and therefore feel qualified to speak for all of us. Care to enlighten us with some of your dits?

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
ImageUploadedByARRSE1406981346.998299.jpg

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

It's always amazed me that no one has published (as far as I can ascertain) a definitive 'rounds to kill/maim enough to remove from combat' analysis for all current and projected (.280" or 7mm?) round sizes.

You'd have to balance that with an analysis of hits v misses. I was out long before 5.56mm was issued but from accounts on here it seems there was a corresponding quantum leap in accuracy and the standard rifle shoots had to be revised accordingly.

Someone seems to have got something right.

Strategically, tactically and logistically 5.56mm is the better round.

This bollocks about Taliban needing 4 or 5 5.56mm to drop them is exactly that - BOLLOCKS.

From what I've read and heard from lads recently retuned from 'far away places with strange sounding names' it takes between two and four hits with 5.56x45mm which weigh 11.8g each. So it takes an all up weight of between 23.6g and 47.2g to incapacitate.

Would you fancy standing on the 300m point and letting someone take a few pot shots at you with 5.56mm?

This small extract from the daily wail article made me smile.
"The bullets are also lead-free to reduce environmental pollution"

Why are we bothering with ballistic testing and all that swaddling? Just go to a Hollywood armourer who can provide you with rifles that shoot out to 10km after going through 2 brick walls, require a single mag that doesn't need changing, can provide sustained fire for hours without the barrel melting and, if provided with a UGL, can fire 40mm grenades with the explosive power of a 155mm artillery shell!
My favourite gizzit is the weapon used by Jo Piscopo in the film Johnnycake Dangerously - the Magnum 88 (it shots through schools)!

Bloody predictive text - that should have been Johnny Dangerously

pongo6863

RIP
RIP
Are you familiar with this paper by Tony Williams pongo?:

http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/The Next Generation.htm
I wasn't but it looks interesting, I'll read it later.
The 'tumbling round' crap (IMO - less aerodynamics = less range) was told to us in the '60s. Do rounds fired from the pea shooter tumble?

Why do you suggest that everyone wants 7.62 in a personal weapon?

Have all the other threads passed you by? Particularly the ones where people who have used 5.56 in anger have spoken of their experiences?

I am hoping you have personal experience of using both 7.62 and 5.56 in battle and therefore feel qualified to speak for all of us. Care to enlighten us with some of your dits?
Yes. SLR in Aden and both SLR and ArmaLite in Sarawak.

In Aden we were out-ranged by locals using SMLEs.

In Sarawak the only time I took the ArmaLite on a mission - and the only time I needed to use it in anger - the magazine fell apart after the first round. The Remington twelve bore was my weapon of choice (range wasn't exactly a requirement in the bungle) but my oppo took down a BIG guy with two rounds in the right shoulder/chest with his SLR. They removed his right arm completely and threw him backwards from a full run.

pongo6863

RIP
RIP
Would you fancy standing on the 300m point and letting someone take a few pot shots at you with 5.56mm?
Don't be a pratt! Would you stand at 600m and let someone have a go at you with 7.62mm?

pongo6863

RIP
RIP
This small extract from the daily wail article made me smile.
"The bullets are also lead-free to reduce environmental pollution"
That's good, we don't want to leave a land where those pretty red poppies can't grow...

Don't be a pratt! Would you stand at 600m and let someone have a go at you with 7.62mm?

I'd happily stand at 60m and let some of the ancient alcoholics from the various SLR threads have a crack at me. Between the DTs, the body broken by a 22 year career of recreational drinking in West Germany, the shit rifle and the old age induced sight problems I reckon you could give half of them the whole of BAOR's ammunition war reserve and I'd still walk away scott free.

Latest Threads