5.56mm "Training Ammo"

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by theinventor, May 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been offered some 5.56mm ammo which appears to be "Training Ammo" - it has a snub-nose and is marked RORG (Royal Ordnance Radway Green).

From what I can research and surmise it's a low power round made of sintered metals bound in a composite. There's a picture of one here http://home.wanadoo.nl/cartridges/brittish%20images/rifle/223/223_rota.jpg

Does anyone know if this stuff of any use - I presume that it would travel at least a 100m to a target but if the ballistics are way off the normal stuff then I suppose there's no great practice value to be had from it (but it's quite a bit cheaper than FMJ or soft-point).

Although being frangible it might be quite fun for bunnies etc as long as you're not planning to eat them...
  2. Isn't RG the accepted marking for Radway Green on 5.56?
  3. Yup, it is indeed.

Perhaps it's the boxes he means?
  4. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Looks a bit dodgey to me...never seen that type of round before. Check the cases haven't been re-used and filled with something else.

Have you got a photo of the base and box?

5. No, it's kosher stuff. I've seen it up at Radway Green. It's a lightweight frangible round that RG market for CQB training. The frangible bullet eliminates the risk of ricochet and splashback at short range. Also, there's no lead in the bullet which reduces any health risks. I'm not sure if UK has ever bought it though - no doubt one of our friendly AT/ATOs from the RLC board will know.
  6. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Okay, I was never a small arms person when I was at RO. I could ask some contacts I have there if you want... does it have a part number?

7. Thanks guys for the quick reply. It's not boxed so I don't have any more markings - came in those quick-load clips.

Markings on the round base are "RORG 88" and the NATO circle+ symbol.

I guess the exam question is: does travel any sort of distance and have any terminal effect? If it does 100yds then might be quite useful for farmyard foxing - won't trash the buildings etc.

Guess I'll have to try some and see. Think I've read that bars of soap have a similar resistance to penetration as flesh & bone.
  8. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

You'll find cabinet ministers are more useful for this purpose, in fact it is the only useful purpose they serve.

Not only will you get realistic data on the performance of your rds, but you'll be an asset to the country and the world in general by getting rid of this toxic waste.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. I could be pissing up the wrong tree here......but, when I was a crab and the sa80 firstcame out we were taught that there were 4 different types of round.

LPTR which stood for Low Power Training Round.Is htat what this is ? I have never seen or heard of the LPTR been taught since waaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day.
  10. There are also Drill Rounds, Inspection Rounds and Armour Piercing Rounds.

RG is the standard marking for Radway Green.

It is indeed a frangible round but I don't remember seeing any in-Service ammuntion although some were purchased for trials. Lead-free is the way ahead and if anybody has sizeable quantities of tungsten lying around in their back gardens the Chinese and the Us will buy it off you as that is now what they are starting to manufacture bullets from.

I would imagine the ballistics on this round will be sh1te :(
  11. could we get a few MP's to try it on at 100 metres + if not lethal bound to hurt and everybody gets a go :twisted:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Bring it to my wood, we'll test it and video the results for arrsers!
  13. Whats the difference between Inspection Rounds and Drill Rounds?
  14. Drill rounds - used to practice your drills und skills
    Inspection rounds - used by Armourer types for function tests and the like.
  15. Inspection rounds often have a soft matte coating that is easily marked by the action of the rifle, and which the armourer can use to detect defects - e.g. scratches in the chamber, problems with the extractor, etc.