5.56 and .223: Are They Different?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Cyclic, Feb 14, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So yes, just about? In work our 5.56 "marked" G36 are complimented by mags full of .223 ammo. Must mind not to shoot anyone with it.
  2. Technically yes, they are different. But as FB says not really.
  3. Ive used both trough a Bushmaster AR , no big difference on grouping.
  4. WTF?
  5. Is that because of your basic inability to use "words" in anything even approaching a coherent manner?
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Im glad you dont reload my ammo! ,read the link and it`s all there in plain English.
  7. This argument is as old a the round itself. Technical matters aside the difference is academic, I have used various brands of .223 Rem and a few Radway Green and German 5.56 in my Remington bolt action and my Mini 14. The latter eats anything and everything no problems; the Remington however because of its slow twist (1 in 12) did not like the miltitary stuff and spread it all over the place. I have reloaded RG cases for my Remington using 52grn bullets and had excellent results, the only difference there is that military cases tend to be thicker and heavier than civvy cases, which means you have to watch out just how much powder you put in the military cases.
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I really wish people would stop posting american doonsayers bollocks and urban myths about the ammo. The round is one and the same at 55 graiin loading as originally issued. The US civilian shooters after WW2 were led down the path that anything in mm (ergo military) is bad so everything must be in inches. Not a problem. the real issues are when people use brass with different case wall thickness in their little AR and wonder why it overpressures (got to go some to blow primers in those little cases) when shoving uncle Bubbas latest supersonic at 1200 yards pet handload doesnt have proof laws, it has lawyers, it likes to print stupidly long written warnings on everything possible including the firearms themselves.
    I can give you two identical loads in that calibre which are different in America but as we are talking calibre not ammunition load then the OPs statement is utter bollocks!
    • Like Like x 2
  9. So reading that article techically the anwser is 'yes' they are different.

But... I've put both through Steyr AUG and not noticed.
  10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

In fact if you read the whole premise is all about leades which are tolerance variations in chamberings not calibres and vary between rifles of the same factory and can be specified if wished. More bollocks
    • Like Like x 1
  11. these days you can get chambering reamers that are between the .223 and 5.56mm chamber throat profiles,
    so in this day and age, no, theres is no real diff between the two.

.223 Remington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  12. To keep it simple over here. Ya don't put your surplus nato ammo in your dad's old .223 with a 1/10 or 1/12 twist. It has a shorter neck on her and you will over pressure the rifle. You can spray as much .223 down range out of your M16A2 nato rifle as you want. It wont hurt her.

My hunting buddy has a surprisingly accurate stainless steel savage. I doubted the accuracy of his .223 stamped rifle and couldn't figure out how it shot so well. It was 1/10 23in crowned and he would intentionally over pressure the barrel with xm-80 military ammo. The newer rifles can usually take the over pressuring. You wouldn't want to trust the steel of an old ruger M/77 bolt action with 5.56. Your primers would blow right out the ass end.

The 5.56 nato round was designed to wound the enemy and deplete their resources. It's a worthless and dangerous piece of trash that should be removed from service. I've hit things that keep running after a direct center mass shot. F***ing worthless puncture wound round.

I now use them only for killing ground squirrels out in the pastures. It's only good for a target rifle.
  13. Isn't this pretty much like the 7.62 v 308 Winchester argument? It's what happens when you take a civilian round in military service. Different requirements lead to a slightly different spec.
  14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Any more designed to wound bollocks and I'll move this to the naafi and unleash the pisstakers!
    • Like Like x 4