4th Guards Brigade HQ and Signals Squadron, Ferret Reg No. 02 CC 20

Tatty0269

Clanker
Following swiftly on for my request for information on my FFR Landy, I was wondering if anyone out there has any information on the 4th Guards Brigade HQ & Signals Squadron in Germany from 1959 to 1972.

In particular with reference to the Daimler Ferrets they used.

I have a Ferret Mk 1/1 that was with the HQ and Signals Squadron during this period and would like to find out more about the Brigade and the role of my Ferret and if anyone has captured it in photographs during its role.

The registration number is 02 CC 20

Tatty0269

Clanker
Good afternoon all,

I thought I would see if there was any more information out there, so just re-posting.

Regards

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I think I drove 02CC76, a 15/19H Command Troop Rebro, a Mark 1/1 in 77-8.

Last edited:

Tatty0269

Clanker
Thanks Alien, a significant number of the 02 CC contract were converted to Mk2's with the turret, however mine was not.

Following a rebuild in 72 mine was put into storage at Monchengladbach until 91 when she was moved to Ludgershall. She may have been prepared to go to the first gulf war as she was sprayed light stone (even inside the bins and underneath), but she never went and was disposed of in 94.

During my time in the MOD I met many people who have fond memories of driving or commanding Ferrets.

Tatty0269

Clanker
For those interested here are some photographs of the Ferret in question as she is today.

ferret1.jpg
ferret2.jpg
inside1.jpg
inside2.jpg

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I just googled ferret scout car mark 1/1 and arrived here.

Army Guide

The first picture, it's close to yours and practically side by side with mine.

Tatty0269

Clanker
Nice to see a 1/1 pictured armed with the 30cal, as it disproves something I was told but refused to believe.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Nice to see a 1/1 pictured armed with the 30cal, as it disproves something I was told but refused to believe.
We had Three Ohs, but they only ever came out of the armoury on Active Edge. Far too much effort to clean. Oh and Hohne Ranges. We got to fire them once. Such a heavy cough light machine gun, mounted on a light scout car chassis, and a very loose mount, I swear we were firing out of both sides of arc at the same time.

Tatty0269

Clanker
HAHA, that sounds interesting, I wonder how they feel with the gimpy firing?

tankboy1

War Hero
We used to nick the 30 belts to clean the chieftain fume extractors.....obviously once they were empty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
HAHA, that sounds interesting, I wonder how they feel with the gimpy firing?
GPMG was light and well balanced compared with the 1919 technology of the Three Oh.

Tatty0269

Clanker
There is always someone who can find an alternative use for anything

Tatty0269

Clanker
Gentlemen and Ladies, Just to push this back into the daylight.

I believe that 4th (Guards) Brigade Group Signal Squadron became 204 Signals Squadron in 1959. Therefore any information of photographs from 204 Signals Squadron between 59 to 72 would be greatly appreciated.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
She may have been prepared to go to the first gulf war as she was sprayed light stone (even inside the bins and underneath), but she never went and was disposed of in 94.
Just spotted this. When we collected pur Command Troop Ferrets and Saracen ACVs from Munchinstrapback in Nov 77, I noticed quite a number of Ferrets seemingly freshly painted sand with thin green stripes and stencilled in black "BAOR OVERLOAD".

Presumed they were going to be sent to BATUS or sold off to some sandy country. But I had, and have no idea.

ugly

LE
I have fired a Browning M1919, I took it from a Gurkha at Brecon and cabbied it out of the window much to the barely hidden amusement of my DS!

Ok it was only blank but by eck it were noisy!

Latest Threads