4RTR - "See you, Jimmy"

Discussion in 'RAC' started by SamCaine, Jan 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anybody from pre-amalgamation days lurking in these hallowed halls?

If there is I'll start off with a memory from Munster;

Alfie C**w I think was his name, who was famed for getting sh|tfaced every time he got promoted, celebrated by taking a Chieftain for a spin around York Barracks at oh clock sparrows fart. Everyone assumed it was an Active Edge and started opening up the troop stores and heading for the tank park. In the end I think he was stopped by one of the guard lobbing a pick-helf at his swede as he bombed past them.

2. Hi Jock
    good one, and best of luck with yer 4 RTR thread - see if you can compete with the Armoured Farmers!

Here's my 4 RTR memories - must have been '76 when we had 1, 2, 3 and 4 RTR at some sort of piss up (Roll Call I think they called it). I was sent over from 3 'B' on a fatigue party and we bivvied down with one of your squadrons. Through the alcoholic haze, I vaguely remember:

some guy called Frank the Plank ('cause he came into the Sqn bar with a 6 foot plank every night) wearing a flasher mack, and

being introduced to a festering 2 foot turd covered in about 4" blue green mold in one of the traps kept locked behind the trap door with 'out of order' on it. They were really proud of that one.

Happy memories!!

Good luck with your thread.

3. Thanks fire-lighter, although I'm not a jock ;) I don't think this thread stands a cat in hell's chance of competing with the other one, hopefully some folk will pop their heads above the parapet all the same.

'76 was just before my time, but I think I know who Frank was/is.

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

4RTR were at Gremmendorfer when I was at Buller in the early 80's some good lads there before the QRIH took over!

5. I don't know if we can compete with the farmers.....you know us shy retiring types from North of the border. There is the occasional flurry of activity on the discussion board at www.4rtr.co.uk for myself I would like to spend more time on here but that effing word **rk keeps getting in the way.

In terms of Al*ie and Active Edge I know several others who also had a few extra curricular runs around the tank park....One even got a punishment posting to "CYPRUS"????? We spent ages trying to work that one out!!!

Good luck and good postings........... :thumright:

6. Loads of Jock Tanks in my intake, 79/09. Enjoyed an impromptu visit in 1981 after finding one of their sprogs lost in Lille and 48 hours overdue. Brought him back and spent a week there. A Sqn took over our accom at the School of I and we took over B Sqn accom in York Kaserne.

I wonder is Boom Boom still behind the bar at the Gremmendorfer Hof? For the first six months of being there, every time one of us went on leave, Erika checked where we were going to see could she get any of her substantial box of beermats paid off LOL

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I learnt to drink in the gremmy! well learnt to vomit!

8. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Nice to see 4 up and running. |Good luck and I hope you have as much fun as us on the 3RTR side.

Remember going to Berlin as a relief troop and forming up for a Sqn run when the SSM asked if we had any money on us - slightly bemused we asked why - his reply - there are 6 bars on the route and you will get mighty thirsty if yu have nee cash lassy - my kind of run.

We also gave you the great Grubby Me*te*s as RSM.

9. You and about 3000 others :highfive:

Let's hope, eh?

Thanks Domart, didn't know of that site.

Aye, I know the feeling. Well, some days ;)

10. I was there too, drinking with old Werner on Saturday nights - him being desperate to get a new supplier of NAAFI 'Drum' rolling tobacco. Me and my mates formed a band around that time as well and we used to do gigs there. I don't remember many from Buller, either 3LI or 29(?)Field RA. It seemed to be a mixture of QRIH and civvies, although I think a lot of other local bars were jealous of the trade as Erika used to moan that they called her gaff a "sheiss Tommy pub" because it was always bulging with squaddies.

From my perspective, most of the Buller guys I met would have been at Senden Folk Club where Clive ???? from 3LI band and his committee used to run the Waggoners Folk Club, which was good craic on most nights.

11. Well I hope you have as much fun as we're having over on the 3 RTR thread, long may it continue! No doubt TARA will join you shortly. :thumright:

[​IMG]

All we need now is the old 1st to start up a thread....................................................maybe not!!! :yawnstretch:

12. We look forward to it.

[​IMG]

13. I think most of the 1st keyboards are full of Fullers Earth these days...

:thumleft:

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

GDAV that would have been 1LI and 2 field, The Boneheads were in the Loddenheide as well. I recall that when 1 LI swapped for 2 LI, 2 went to Celle or minden and Buller was slated for demolition, typical as wehad only just repainted everything. I take it you'll remember Trev M##le whoe transferred from you to 1LI in 83.

15. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

4 RTR in Traz, my first posting out of the factory. Loved every second of it.

Edited because it was a tad Chavvy.