4Para 'Heaves'

Alektorophobia

Old-Salt
As long as your hands are outside of your shoulders it will be fine, also I notice you have gloves, I'd stop using them and use chalk it's better for your grip.

Have fun, you will get there even at 31 weeks pregnant I can manage 2 so it's not impossible.

watch_dog

Clanker
Great that you have sorted that out.

Now stop dicking about, get your trainers on and go out for a run.

Trust me, it will do you a lot more good than hanging like a bat in your loft.

LOL. I'm thinking of doing a short run later on today, and I'm doing another 2-3 mile run tomorrow and friday, then a sprint session on sunday.

As long as your hands are outside of your shoulders it will be fine, also I notice you have gloves, I'd stop using them and use chalk it's better for your grip.

Have fun, you will get there even at 31 weeks pregnant I can manage 2 so it's not impossible.

I don't have any chalk. I'm not wearing the gloves for grip so much (they do help though) but I have soft hands and the gloves stop the skin from getting wrecked, meaning I can do a few more reps.

The_Duke

LE
When you get back from each of them, turn straight around and do them again.

2 to 3 miles is a short run. Less than that is a warm up.

Alektorophobia

Old-Salt
I don't have any chalk. I'm not wearing the gloves for grip so much (they do help though) but I have soft hands and the gloves stop the skin from getting wrecked, meaning I can do a few more reps.

We're just going to pretend you didn't say that...harden your hands up, a few patches of rough skin won't hurt. Do you not do any weight lifting like dead lifts or cleans?

Plus when you get annoyed you can annoy the Mrs back by biting off your hard skin and picking at it!

watch_dog

Clanker
We're just going to pretend you didn't say that...harden your hands up, a few patches of rough skin won't hurt. Do you not do any weight lifting like dead lifts or cleans?

Plus when you get annoyed you can annoy the Mrs back by biting off your hard skin and picking at it!

I will harden my hands up when I can do some comfortable reps lol. I don't do deadliest or cleans no. Most of what I do these days is bodyweight stuff.

In all of this excitement about " wide arms" no-one mentioned, whether it was an 'overhand grip' or an 'underhand grip'. It's just that there is completely separate muscle groups used. Worth a check............. but meanwhile, back on the run :)

The problem is I can't even do one! Like, I can lift myself up but not over the bar.

Just Perform lowers
Stand on a chair, assume the position and lower yourself down slowly say 3 seconds. repeat as many times as you can for a set.
As you get better introduce full pull ups.

watch_dog

Clanker
In all of this excitement about " wide arms" no-one mentioned, whether it was an 'overhand grip' or an 'underhand grip'. It's just that there is completely separate muscle groups used. Worth a check............. but meanwhile, back on the run :)

As far as I'm aware you only really do underhands when doing chin ups. Probably wrong but meh lol

Wired Bandit

Old-Salt
When i starter as a 4para joe i wished id done more running, although i was fit, you still wish over and over you done more. Concentrate on cardio work and lots of body weight phys, low weight and high reps if your working with weights, good luck! Tip if you can get to a personal trainer that does beast circuit training do it, this will help with the tuesday evenings,

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
The problem is I can't even do one! Like, I can lift myself up but not over the bar.

Lat pull downs will do the trick.

back31.jpg

Or some say negative pull ups. Support yourself in the 'up' position and lower as slowly as possible, exercising the same muscles with the obvious difference that down is easier than up.

Or as someone else said, use a band.

One thing not to use is the assisted pull up machine, it will pull your body out of the proper line and never seems to be recommended by anyone who knows what they're on about.

I trained myself to run, when I started I couldn't run the distance between two Lampost's, I never turned up for sport at school, I walked every day, then jogged for a minute, and kept building it up, until I was doing 10 miles every other night carrying a concrete block in a rucksack wearing heavy leather hiking boots.

You just have to start small and inch forward slowly. It doesn't take long for something like press ups until you get into reps of 50 at a go.

Good luck.

Here you go, a fine example - respirator not required.

mullers

Old-Salt
Yes you should be able to do at least a few pull-ups with good form but as has been pointed out, being able to run and sprint and recover in a timely fashion will be better for you.

Hill sprints, lunges, step-ups and all that good stuff will serve you well. Repeat until you think you are either going to throw up, fall over or pass out. I believe it is more technically known as lactic acid threshold training or something similar. All good fun and puts hairs on your chest.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Latest Threads