47th of Horse (Yorkshires finest)

Anyone around from Yorkshire's finest?

Cant let the Armoured farmers get all the say in here LOL

Soprano still trying to figure out who you are, you sussed me quickly enough LOL

13 fine young chaps passed off with us to the 47th all gone now I am afraid :(

RogerOut! said:
Soprano still trying to figure out who you are, you sussed me quickly enough LOL

13 fine young chaps passed off with us to the 47th all gone now I am afraid :(
Mate come on, I can now see why you went to the CAV :slow:!!! LOL

Check your PM's!

Joined D sqn as a Rupert in the Sunset days of 91. Posted shortly after amalgamation (xmas 92) for a year in Canada followed by a year in Liverpool then out . Enjoyed Detmold and loved the Regiment.

TB your right about little time at RD this was due to the wonders of Options for change. However there was a great feeling of belonging to the Regiment from the moment you joined. Have you never heard of love at first sight TB?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
We had one in our intake in Catterick, 75/20. His name looked like a Slidex message cos of his Polish father who'd fought for us in the war. If you knew him, you know who I mean.

I and two others were the intake's last arrivals from RSC Sutton Coldfield. He had been one of the first, marking time for a couple of weeks waiting for the intake to fill out. First night, he comes stomping into our basha with a couple of cronies and informed us he had been nominated by the staff as the intake's senior recruit. He started gobbing off. I had previously done time (if that's the right expression ... ) in RMP recruit training before seeing the light. I saw his story as plausible and wasn't going to ruffle any feathers in the first 30 minutes, so I went along. Then I very quickly knew he was spouting rowlocks and when he ordered down give me 20 to the three of us, I just stood there, waiting to see how he handle this challenge to his self-given authority. He knew he was rumbled, but it took the other two quite some time, and I gained cred because they really thought I was standing up to authority.

Every time somebody new got to take a roll call, we all held our breath as the roll-taker got through the Ms and Ns to the Ps then exploded as his name. At this point our friend would simply call out his own name and leave the DS to choose his own nickname. He answered, IIRC, to ABC, XYZ and Zizzwizz.

Upon completion of training I went off to join my regiment in Omagh. A couple of months later at tour end, we moved to Tidworth where we discovered that the Angle Irons were next door in a cavalry sandwich with 47th on the other side.

We were able to continue our comradeship in the Bhurtphore NAAFI (the 47th seemed to have a fascination with the Rumble in the Jungle, cos the single was forever being played on the Juke Box: in the Aliwal NAAFI, ISTR the usual music was David Dundas singing "I pull my green skin on, I pull my baggy green skin on," or something like that).

I am sure they replaced the Royal Hoozars in Paderborn shortly after we replaced erm, erm, do you know, I cannot remember who we took over from in the Infanteriekaserne? I suspect they were Infantry. Queens rings a bell, especially when in later years at Worthy Down I found an Ex-Queen who'd followed the same career path and had been in the Infanteriekaserne. Last I heard he was still working for the same multinational IT megacorporation as I, up the road in Farnborough. However, doing a lookup tells me that unless he's moved to one of our US or Canadian operations, he isn't there now.

I really must give up rambling on. Ahhh memories.

Hi AlienFTm

I think I know who you meant would be PRZY**L. for some strange reason he had a tendency to wear a kaftan at Sqn does which always got up C Sqn SSm's nose and earned him his fair share of dirty jobs over the years. he left as a Cpl after about 9 years and I havent clue what happenned to him.

We took over from the Royal Hussars ok but that was in Fally in late 76 the 17/21L were next door in Wessex Bks. I think QLR took over that barracks from you in Paderborn didnt they, that would be the one on the corner?

Lots of happy memories of those days.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
RogerOut! said:
Hi AlienFTm

I think I know who you meant would be PRZY**L. for some strange reason he had a tendency to wear a kaftan at Sqn does which always got up C Sqn SSm's nose and earned him his fair share of dirty jobs over the years. he left as a Cpl after about 9 years and I havent clue what happenned to him.

We took over from the Royal Hussars ok but that was in Fally in late 76 the 17/21L were next door in Wessex Bks. I think QLR took over that barracks from you in Paderborn didnt they, that would be the one on the corner?

Lots of happy memories of those days.
That's the baby. As for who took over from us, I dunno: I had gone to the Rape and Pillage Company. In October 1984 my second child was due in about 6 weeks. I returned to camp from an Active Edge (I'd intended getting an "Exempt from Active Edge chitty" the morning it was called) to be greeted at the gate by "Your Lass (back in the UK) is dropping." I jumped out of the Rover, the messenger took the driver's seat, I confirmed the message, bought some petrol tokens, phoned Townsend Thoresen, father-in-law and brother to organise transport between Dover (first ferry ashore) and Huntingon (where the baby was due).

Home for a bath and grab some civvies, then hit the Autobahn. (The neighbour claimed when I returned that she'd gone into our quarter, bidden by Wor Lass, and turned off the iron.)

I got to Zeebrugge and phoned for a SitRep. The nurse tried to play mind games until she realised a hand was coming down the phone. Nipper had been born at 1800 local, when I had been on the road: I don't even know what country I was in when he was born. Kinda smug, I bought a bottle and sat down to await the ferry, only to find myself sat next to Weakleg, who'd been my replacement in Command Troop about four years earlier. When I say replacement, Weakleg actually wanted my job, my life, my everything it seemed and because there was a C Sqn regime taking over in Command Troop and things were changing for the worse, I jumped back into a turret.

Weakleg told me that he (and a mukker) were two of the last 15/19s out of Paderborn on their way to Bovvy. Of all the bars in all the ferry terminal, he had to be sat in the one I entered. I wonder if the scar healed on the back of his hand after I ran a steak knife over it as he tried to nick a chip one evening in the Braumiester on the other side of the road? (Yes our barracks was on the corner.) Funnily, I have looked at Google Earth a lot recently and checked out the old Infanteriekaserne. The road overlay inside the barracks looks exactly as I remember it, but the blurred photo (no hi-res photos of Paderborn) suggests it's been entirely built over: the lines of the buildings bear absolutely no resemblence.

Same goes for Tidworth (though we do have hi-res photos). I can see the driver training area and the roads to it from front and back of the barracks; I can see the football pitch outside our old block, but Aliwal at least seems to have had all its Boer War building torn down and everything has been replaced by giant white metal hangars.

Next thing, people will be telling me Marsden Rock fell into the sea! :eek:(

Boggles mate, Allanbrook Bks aint changed, apart from the fact that the QLR burnt down the old A Sqn bar part of the NAAFI before they left. The old command troop signals stores next to the education centre is now a wives club. The old prison which was next to the camp has been pulled down, this may be because we had the odd twat trying to kill himself driving through its walls from time to time, lol. Down town, Uncle Toms is closed, City Club closed but Paderborn remains a nice place to be.

GeordieHussar said:
Bleep Bleep, you on drugs mate.
I dont know what the medication is called but Ive been on it since I met up with your crowd in Fermanagh but Lt H_ds_n tried to get me on Newcy Brown!!!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bravo_Bravo The NAAFI Bar 130
B Shooting, Hunting and Fishing 15
N Gunners 16