46 Bases to close

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PE4rocks, Jul 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Military closure plans outlined

The MoD says it wants to focus on large-scale "defence communities"
    Plans to shut down 46 British military bases have been released by the Ministry of Defence

Linky

Probably not a bad thing if, and this is a big one, the money accrued was all spent on the lads accomodation now, rather than the wishy washy '10 year' which will be conveniently forgotten/put back to suit the government of the day(1)

(1) I'd be really happy to be proved wrong on that.

2. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Err should he not have actually said, 'saves money'?

3. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Probably looking to do the same as what they did to us by closing loads of RAF bases & making 'Super Bases' like RAF Marham.

4. They'll probably end up wasting money by closing the bases down, sorting out the land and clearing everything before giving it away to developers for nothing.

5. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Alienate the armed forces, move them into big garrison areas where they do not mix and join in with the local community. Not my idea of good living – Fally/Woofers, no argument.

6. Why say two words (which people readily understand) when twenty-six will do :roll:

Obviously a graduate of the Sir Humphrey Appleby School of English :D

lancslad

7. Elova, the only part of the community that most of the Tom's want to mix with, will just get bussed in. Where there's a will, there's a slapper.

8. I'm not doing another Bramley (Op Cornelius??) ffs, lets go dig up some potentially lethal chemical munitions.....

9. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

I wish I was paid as much as Mr Ainsworth just for talking SHIITE

10. You just know that they will agree a price below market value (to allow for "risk") as the market bottoms.

Obviously not everyone saw the disposal of Quinetq as badly managed.

11. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

A bit like Chelsea Barracks.... :D

12. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Lying through his arrse. If that was the case they would take over Oxfordshire & Wiltshire so they are near the air head instead of sending the Marines & Sappers to remote North Devon and failing to maintain a perfectly good airstrip.

Not the case here, once the local yobs had been sorted everyone gets on well and the totty pool is larger. You can only get 56 nurses on a bus and they NEVER turn up. :roll:

13. It all rather depends on who gets to buy all these properties doesn't it?
    Sounds more like several Labour Ministers with an eye out for future employers when the current gravy train runs out.
    You can bet your last pound these ministers will get lucrative consultancy deals once out of office, I leave it to your own conjecture who will benefit most but it won't be the Army or the taxpayer.

14. Not that Cyclops would ever sell an asset like land or gold at the bottom of the market, oh no....

15. No doubt it'll be the task of a Civil Servant to 'just get rid of them' rather than actually realising the true value of these places (eg. Minley, Woolwich, etc) in both Monetary and Historic/Traditional.

And what happens when we eventually get some money back in the Armed Forces and begin to expand again? No doubt we'll be rented the same land back at extortionate rates!!