Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Firstly, Mr Fingeronthepulse, they died in Iraq. Secondly, it just does not make logistical sense to repatriate a body on a specially commissioned flight.
    Does someone have accurate information as to the process for the repatriation of bodies, as opposed to the scuttlebutt above.

2. Personally, were it my body waiting, and they needed four more to send it home, I'd rather it waited for as long as possible.

3. They don't wait until they have a batch of 5 before they send them home, I have sent many single bodies home in my time and received them in the UK. Bodies are released in consort with the receiving coroner (usually Oxfordshire as the bodies arrive at Brize Norton), in line with ceremonial preperation for their reception in the UK and according to the C17 schedules. We must also consider mortuary space at the receiving hospital and the relatives' own preparations.

I do not know why Kingsman Hancock was not brought back as quickly as the others, but it was not for matters of expediency or cost. I suggest you give your source a slap for misinforming you. And you sound like a journo.

4. fas et gloria - well said...

Journos have their fingernails pulled!

5. Yes - it was my job for a while. And I can categorically confirm that this is complete nonsense.

The decision on a repat date is taken generally at desk officer level between J1 in Theatre (in liaison with the FMCC to co-ordinate C-17 avail, the relevant unit - and Comds - to co-ordinate appropriate Th ceremonial, the medics & possibly FP to move the body & RMP(SIB) for police matters) & PJHQ J1, who consult with MoD, HQ LAND and PS(4)/JCCC to allow for the views of the family to be taken into account (as well as liaising with morticians/undertakers). To the best of my knowledge, the Oxford coroner has no input at this stage. There are a variety of arrangements that need to be put into place both in the UK and Theatre and in some instances it makes sense to put bodies from separate, but close in time, incidents on the same flight. In other cases it doesn't. Except where the unit or the family had particular concerns, the decision on when to repatriate during my tenure was generally mine. And I didn't consider cost.

There is no scandal here.

6. Just looked through some of your old posts and came to the conclusion that you're a bit of a c0ck so shut up and f@ck off!

7. Dilfor, the Coroner may delay repatriations if he is busy (and he is very busy dealing with our repats) you may not have noticed this because it may not have happened: he will bend over backwards to accommodate the relatives, ultimately it is their loss and everything we do is tailored to suit them where possible. Repatriations are complicated and sensitive; the suggestion that we would 'batch' repatriations is as idiotic as it is goulish.

Edited to add: Looks like nigeats has realised his muppetry :roll:

8. But.....as pointed out in my posting....it is happening for real. Do you not think that the families want their offspring back asap????

9. I can personally say too that I repatriated a lone deceased serviceman myself from Telic, so you are talking out your ar*e!

11. Cock.

12. Cock.[/quote]
    :?

13. As the original post has been edited can only assume the Q however let me assure you we do not hold on to bodies as a job lot. They are treated with the respect they deserve. To suggest otherwise would be absurd.

In the same vein Conmpassionate cases recieve the highest priority as is befitting.

Hopefully the Journo sat bored in the square mile looking for a cheap news flash will realise that troops serving Queen and country deserve better when killed or injured. These are the people who allow you to write what you want FFS.

Rant began but definately not over just too disgusted to carry on................

14. Nige, it isn't. Take it from the people that have had the unfotunate honour to repatriate our deceased. There are many reasons why a serviceman's body may remain in theatre longer than another's, but it is not because we wait until we reach the magic number before we send them back. This has never happened, nor will it ever happen. Where did your source get his information from?

Oddly enough, you may also find that some families do not want the body back immediately. Some would rather take the time to make arrangements for the funeral and prepare themselves for their loved one's return than demand an immediate repat. As I have already said, we make enormous allowances for the families feelings.

If you're now willing to discuss this, then how about reinstating your original post so the membership of this site can judge your point on its merits (if it has any).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.