44 Parachute Brigade (TA)

Hi there,

I don't suppose anyones got an Order of Battle for the TA Para Bde on disbandment in 1978?

Was 16 coy the pathfinder coy?

Apart from 562 para sqn, RCT, 131 para sqn, RE and 266 para bty, RA where there other supporting arms?

While about it, I found an Orbat for the TA 16 Airborne Division

16th AIRBORNE DIVISION

[ NB –although headquartered in London this division had units nationwide]

North Somerset Yeomanry, Bath

285 Airborne Light Regiment, Stratford

291 Airborne Field Regiment, Lewisham

292 Airborne Anti-tank Regiment, Kensington

131 Airborne Engineer Regiment, Kingsbury

16 Airborne Divisional Signal Regiment, Uxbridge

16 (Lincoln) Independent Parachute Company, Lincoln

16 Airborne Divisional RASC

16 Airborne Divisional RAOC

16 Airborne Divisional REME

16 Airborne Divisional RAMC

4 Parachute Brigade

10 (London) Bn, Parachute Regiment, Chelsea

11 (Middlesex) Bn, Parachute Regiment, Hounslow

14 (Hampshire) Bn, Parachute Regiment, Southampton

5 Parachute Brigade

12 (Yorkshire) Bn, Parachute Regiment, Pudsey

13 (Lancashire) Bn, Parachute Regiment, Liverpool

18 (Warwickshire) Bn, Parachute Regiment, Aston

6 Parachute Brigade

15 (Scottish) Bn, Parachute Regiment, Glasgow

16 (Welsh) Bn, Parachute Regiment, Cardiff

17 (Durham LI) Bn, Parachute Regiment, Gateshead

isleofwightrifles said:
Was 16 coy the pathfinder coy?

Apart from 562 para sqn, RCT, 131 para sqn, RE and 266 para bty, RA where there other supporting arms?
16 Coy was the pathfinder coy for 44 Para Bde, as for the various supporting units mentioned above by other posters I couldn't comment. Whether they were part of 44 Para Bde ORBAT or provided battlefield replacements for regular units I wouldn't know.

44 Parachute Brigade(V) was disbanded on 31st March 1978
Final orbat was:

Bde HQ and Defence Platoon - Chelsea
289 Para Bty, RHA(V) - East Ham (actually had left the Bde in 1977 when it converted to Cdo Arty Bty)
131 Indep Para Sqn, RE(V) - HQ London with Troops in Birmingham, Hull and Grangemouth
44 Para Bde Signal Troop - Chelsea
4 Para (V) - HQ Pudsey
10 Para (V) - HQ London
15 Para (SV) - HQ Glasgow
16 Indep Para Coy (V) - Lincoln
562 Para Sqn, RCT(V) - Southall
144 Para Fd Amb, RAMC(V) - HQ London with dets in Nottingham, Glasgow and Cardiff
44 Para OFP, RAOC (V) - Heston
1 Para Provost Pl, RMP(V) - Tulse Hill

In answer to the above 16 Coy was indeed the brigade pathfinder/recce unit.

Mike_2817 said:
44 Parachute Brigade Signal Troop

located at Chelsea
Was part of

55th (West Lancashire) Signal Squadron, Royal Signals (V)
Were they not in the Duke of Yorks Bks in Chelsea, as, I imagine, you are inferring they were at Chelsea Bks?

144 Para Fd Amb RAMC(V) were one of the only support units to survive the disbandment. They lost the title Parachute existing as a conventional Field Ambulance although the unit continued to wear the Red Beret, send it,s troops to P coy and had a high percentage of Para trained personnel (prb about 90%) until becoming part of 23 PFA in 1995 as (C) 144 Para Sq (V). They still exist as 144 Parachute Medical Squadron, the TA squadron of 16 Medical Regiment the medical support for 16 Air Assault Brigade.

144 were the last unit in the British Army to wear the Denison smock and steel 1940 pattern P helmet.
Still got mine!

Believe it or not 1982/83. Used to get strange looks from the RAF on aircraft and in Balloons.

jockparamedic said:
Believe it or not 1982/83. Used to get strange looks from the RAF on aircraft and in Balloons.
I suspect that the looks were more of " Is this guy for real or has he pitched up from the cast of The Eagle Has Landed" :D

Wasn't 10 PARA (V) situated in Redan Road, Aldershot (near the football ground)? Knocked down a few years ago, replaced by flats - surprise surprise!

The_Duke

LE
telecaster said:
Wasn't 10 PARA (V) situated in Redan Road, Aldershot (near the football ground)? Knocked down a few years ago, replaced by flats - surprise surprise!
Support Company was - later changed to "Support Group" post Options for Redundancy.

telecaster said:
UPDATED ( I am corrected and agree that 10 Para Below should read 15 PARA) Time plays tricks on the brain. [Condex 2 Mar 09]

THe 10 PARA I did exercises with were 10 PARA "Jocks" from the Big G.

Have some Great Memories of things that they got up to.

Trying to stop a Landrover (doing about 15 MPH) by jumping off a wall (10 high) onto the bonet was one of the good ones!

He did stop it of Course (Jocks were know as the tank killers) but also took him self out of the Excercise!

There was another time when one of them cornered an APC (I think it was) in a farm yard. He chased it round and round until he finaly got pined agains a wall, as the APC passd. He was hurt (but not killled fortunatley) by this time other from his unit had arrived, just as the APC (knowing that they had hit him) popped a hatch, only to havew a thunder flash thrown in and the hatch forced shut on them. The rest you can imagine.

I only heard of this one ( I saw the Landrover one myself) I do not know what happened to the crew (or rather how baddley they were hurt) or what the reprocusions were. But tis is were they got the Tank Killer name from, as far as I am aware.

Condex said:
Was not 15 Para the Scottish Battalion? I can remember exercising with them on occasion when I was in RMR Glasgow.

It was said that in an emergency a 15 Para composite company could be assembled by going to Gorbals Cross and whistling, pretty much at any time, day or night.

I think Billy Connolly served in 15 Para, too.

Vasco said:
Condex said:
Was not 15 Para the Scottish Battalion? I can remember exercising with them on occasion when I was in RMR Glasgow.

It was said that in an emergency a 15 Para composite company could be assembled by going to Gorbals Cross and whistling, pretty much at any time, day or night.

I think Billy Connolly served in 15 Para, too.

Billy served with 15th Jocks in the 60's, there was also a Coy in Perth and one in Aberdeen