43k - enough to survive on in London?

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by Alsacien, Jul 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I have a Finnish friend thinking to go to London to broaden his business experience in the area of financial regulation.
    Its a hot topic and a good CV enhancing move, the question he has asked me is how well can he live on the 43k they are offering him, and could he afford to bring his wife with him?
    Any advice appreciated.
  2. 43k? Lucky git, I'd have to die twice to be worth that much.
  3. Tell your Finnish friend to ask for a day pass to the real world. Of course £43,000 is enough.

Millions of people get by on a lot less than that.
  4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Its a 50% wage cut from his current Helsinki package, although a lot of that is down to the current exchange rate.

Of course you can live on that, but what would the approx. net be at moment (-35%)? What is the current rent on a small but decent flat?
  5. Judging by what I see on a thursday evening in London, he probably shouldn't consider bringing his wife...he cannot afford to miss some of that partying!
  6. It's certainly enough to "survive" on, even if he does bring his wife. However, if he is used to €50k+ he may find his standard of living drops a bit. Mind you, I have no idea how expensive Helsinki is to live in.
  7. Small but very decent flat is £1300 per month here:

On the northern line (collindale) half an hour to the city.
  8. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Cheers guys, good links.

Tax and NI contributions on 43k is about -35%?
  9. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

the average for a decent flat I would say is about £1k per month. I found my current abode here - www.spareroom.co.uk . I would personally say it makes sense to live out of the centre of london and commute in - I think you'd spend a lot more living close in, both in terms of the rent on your flat and things like shopping.

edit - doesnt £43k put you into the 40% tax band?
  10. About -28% actually, assuming a completely standard tax code. £2600ish net per month.
  11. [

edit - doesnt £43k put you into the 40% tax band?[/quote]

It does but only on the amount over £34600 my bonus cheque last year was hit with the 40% which was a right pisser

linky http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/it.htm

edited to add link and mong spelling
  12. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Thanks guys, that's all I needed.