42F - Never Forgotten

rgjbloke

On ROPS
On ROPs
Off the top of my head no but I’ll ask around. Give me a couple of days and I’ll speak to a couple of guys who were still in the battalion when this thing happened.

rgjbloke

On ROPS
On ROPs
Today marks once again the anniversary of the tragic loss of five young men who were defending us all against a terrorist threat which was at the height of it‘s long campaign to achieve it’s aims through the use of the bullet and the bomb attempting to undermine democracy and force it’s will on the UK through indiscriminate murder and mayhem.

On this day 41 years ago, four Royal Green Jackets, L/Cpl Grenville Winstone, Rfn Michael Bagshaw, Rfn Andrew Gavin and Rfn John King and Royal Corps of Transport driver Paul Bulman were killed instantly when their Saracen armoured vehicle driving along a country Lane close to the border on a patrol out of Bessbrook Mill was attacked using a culvert mine resulting in a massive explosion.

“They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.”

Their lives were not lost in vain. Ultimately, their efforts and the efforts of many thousands of other young soldiers, men and women, resulted in those who thought they could impose their will through terrorism being forced to concede they couldn’t win and the threat was defeated.

The cost in young soldiers lives was enormous though. Over 750 young men and women were brutally cut down and many thousands more suffered life changing injuries during the course of the 30 years of the terrorists indiscriminate campaign.

On this day in particular, I remember c/s 42F. Rest in Peace lads. Winnie, there were some great times in the past when we laughed so much while drinking in the Prince Albert in Dover and elsewhere back in the day. Baggy, the quite lad but always ready to step up and do more than his bit. The others who I don’t recall so well but all of them Rifleman and unique individuals with a sense of duty to their mates when it counted. Paul Bulman. A young RCT lad at the sharp end with those lads now regarded as an honorary Green Jacket by those of us still here.

Rest in Peace lads!​

Last edited:

Latest Threads