42? Overweight? Cannot concentrate? Dead? Join the US ARMY!

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Alsacien, Jan 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,11069-2543376.html

"After missing recruitment targets in 2005, the Army lowered standards and doubled enlistment bonuses. Last year it raised the maximum age for recruits from 35 to 40 and then to 42.

It also relaxed rules outlawing visible tattoos above the neck and ensured that candidates who are a little overweight or suffer from attention deficit were no longer turned away. "

"Other, less successful, recruitment efforts have included writing to 5,100 officers who had recently left the service. The letters, sent out at Christmas, included 75 to officers killed in action and 200 more who have been wounded. But perhaps the most controversial measure to address recruitment shortfalls is the offer of automatic citizenship to foreign nationals recruited in the Army."

2. "But perhaps the most controversial measure to address recruitment shortfalls is the offer of automatic citizenship to foreign nationals recruited in the Army."

Sounds like a plan to me. It worked for the Romans, but what did they ever achieve?

3. Having read that - 42 FFS- Just how long until they restart the draft?

They must be getting desperate.

4. Well, in the long term, spagetti, moustaches on their women, and lots of running away...

5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

6. Achieve? Nothing you are right ..........Romans who?

Aqueducts, roads etc .......are just stupid little things you are right :thumright:

As for foreigners recruitment..........that was one reason why the Roman Empire fell........

ciao sorry have to go, must shave my moustache....... :winkrazz:
    :biggrin:

7. Roman auxilliaries got their citizenship on discharge, after 25 years service. In the French Foreign Legion, a legionaire has to complete his initial 5 year contract before he's eligible for Frech citizenship.

It's not clear from the quote, but are the Septics offering citzenship on recruitment?

9. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Do you have such figures?

Enlistments are up in UK - especially in Royal Marines and Parachute Regiment, overall army strength is still 3-5000 short (depending on whose figures you take).

10. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Care to share them with us?

11. I have noticed there is a fair bit of poking fun at the USA by members of this forum. It seems alot of you like to feel in some way superior to them.

If it wasn't for the US the Brits would be speaking German.
    US soldiers seem to be able to get on with their job without whining and whinging like the Brits
    For all your slagging off of the US remeber this.The world sees the UK as a pathertic lap dog to America. If the US is the big playground bully then the UK is the weak weasly kid hiding behind him calling other people names knowing no one will touch him.

But you still keep kidding yoursleves that you are better with your economy sized armed forces and chav culture.

12. As Tom Lehrer said all those years ago "the US Army is unique in our nation in that it does not discriminate on grounds of race, colour, creed or ...competence"

13. So you're not even British? Now I'm really confused.

14. Speaking German? Russian possibly.

15. whats confusing about it ? I'm not a Brit.
    As it happens I have dual nationality as of right but I don't consider myslef a Brit, never have, never will.