40mm low velocity extended range grenades

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by IndependentBoffin, Nov 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. International debut of ST Kinetics' 40MM Low Velocity Extended Range Ammunition at Eurosatory 2010 | Shephard Group

Does anyone know how this works? Usually for munitions without rocket-assisted boost, extended range is synonymous with high velocity.

To extend the range of unpowered flight the number of parameters to play with are small: inertia/momentum, reduced drag or aerodynamic lift.

2. I suspect this may be an issue of semantics but your assertion that extended range is 'synonynous with high velocity' is slightly off mark. Extended range can be simply as a result of the achievement of a 'higher' velocity than was previously achieved. In such circumstances the 'higher' velocity gives extended range but could still be classed as 'low velocity'.

3. I suspect the 30% shorter time of flight should give us a clue that the round is moving 30% faster. So as Sangreal said faster, but still, in relative terms, low velocity.

4. Such grenades are sometimes referred to as "Medium Velocity" to differentiate from the 400m "low velocity" and the 2000m "High Velocity" 40mm grenades. Even the "high velocity" grenades only have a muzzle velocity of 240m/s - distinctly subsonic and slower than some airguns.

The last two paragraphs here:
    NEW DEVELOPMENTS IN GRENADE AMMUNITION
    are probably quite interesting.

5. Alright thanks guys. I'm guessing it probably works using a strengthened casing and a more powerful/larger quantity of propellant, than any kind of rocket-boost system to build up additional speed.

6. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

I wouldn't trust anything produced by ST Engineering. I've seen a bid they placed for a database/repository system that was basically just Windows Explorer written in sexed-up language. And it was written in the most comedy pidgen-english you'll ever see on paper.

That said, they do now own Antycip - who are pretty sharp.

7. Thanks. Does anyone have any details on how the Russian GP-25 works + sectional drawings of their grenades? :)

It sounds like the low pressure bit of the grenade falls away from the business end once it leaves the barrel, like a sabot, but I'd like to double check.