407 pound woman denied flights - dies - husband sues.

Perhaps it's time for an official maximum passenger weight? Or if there are enough travellers of this calibre perhaps a new airline specifically for the massively obese?

The death of a 407-pound woman after being denied boarding on three flights was "preventable," according to an attorney for the woman's husband, who plans to pursue legal action against three airlines.
When they arrived, Ostrov-Ronai said, the couple was told that Delta only had a plastic wheelchair that could not handle Vilma's weight and that there was no sky lift available to get her onto the plane.

Link to rest of article and photo: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - Yahoo!

If only they had doctors in Hungary she might have been alive today. I assume Eastern Europeans generally just chew on bark and hope for the best when they get ill.

Consideration has to be given to other passengers also. Fat people cause access problems, especially when an accident occurs or when there is need for an emergency evacuation. I can think of an accident in the UK where one fat individual indirectly caused multiple deaths.

Consideration has to be given to other passengers also. Fat people cause access problems, especially when an accident occurs or when there is need for an emergency evacuation. I can think of an accident in the UK where one fat individual indirectly caused multiple deaths.
Any chance of a link? I'm not saying that you're telling pork pies (excuse the pun) I'm just interested to see it so that I can further my hatred of chunkers and their cake consuming habits.

Soltesz, who had one leg, got on the flight with the help of an airlift, and used a seatbelt extender when seated, t.
Seat belt extender? Have you seen the ******* size of this (ex) land whale? That seat belt exteneder must have been the length of the whole of a normal car seat belt.

Any pilots around as I wonder if an extra 200kgs in one glutinous mass plonked down in the plane would be noticeable in the handling?

I reckon KLM should have passed her over to their non-comercial side

You might try Guy Gibson's old mob...
You mean try bouncing fat bastards down the Mohnesee to distrupt ball bearing production?

Well it is a bit of an extreme measure and I am not at all sure the NHS budget will stretch that far but it might be worth a go and it gets the housebound fatties out and about and useful to society again so I am all for it.

YAHOO News: The couple drove back to their home in Hungary and made another effort, this time through Lufthansa, to get back to the United States. When they boarded, they were forced to disembark by the captain, Ostrov-Ronai said, because Vilma was unable to fasten her seatbelt properly.

The airline said it worked with local partners, the fire brigade and technical experts to accommodate Soltesz, but to no avail.

"After several time-consuming attempts it was decided that for the safety of this passenger and the over 140 fellow passengers, Lufthansa had to deny transportation of the passenger," said a statement issued by the airline. "In order to avoid further delays which would have resulted in missed connections and severe inconvenience for other customers on board, this decision was unavoidable."
They had the Fire Brigade on the plane?! How selfish are these people? Sod the other 200 odd people waiting on the aircraft I'll just cram myself into a seat, huff and puff and generally inconvenience people because I want to go home. I've sat next to a couple of fattys (thankfully short haul/domestic) and now would ask for another seat. I told my fatty on the first one (Manc/Paderborn) sit on the window side as I didn't want to be trapped by the lardy bint if the worst happened (said my leg was sore and needed to stretch out).

The giveaway was that she had been allocated three seats.

If only she had agreed to be subdivided or had asked for adjacent seats in the first place.

many moons ago, a young Taff49 was waiting at Kai Tak airport for a BA flight back from Hong Kong. In front of me was a particular tubby American lady, who, as well as being an ounce or two over her fighting weight, also had that fusty smell about her, almost like there were pastry products and decomposing AA batteries hidden amongst her rolls of flesh. I spent a very pleasant 5 minutes or so gurning at the check-in clerk who was trying to keep a straight face. He was doing a very good job of being rude to her without insulting her, a bit of a master class as I recall. He did point out that the seats in first class were more in keeping with a passenger of her “needs” (i.e. you need a bigger seat fatty), but she insisted on travelling cattle class. On hearing that, I decided on the spot to upgrade my own ticket to avoid even being in the same compartment as her and the check-in gent shared a knowing look and gave me first class without additional cost.