400 terror suspects in the UK

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-2125413,00.html

AT LEAST 400 Al-Qaeda terrorist suspects — double the previous estimates — are at large in Britain, according to police and MI5.

Dame Eliza Manningham-Buller, director-general of MI5, has said the figure could be as high as 600 if all those thought to have returned from combat training in camps in Pakistan, Afghanistan and elsewhere are included.

The new assessment — effectively a “terror audit” of Britain — was confirmed this weekend by one of Britain’s most senior police officers, who warned that shortages of trained surveillance teams were undermining attempts to monitor all the suspects.

“With about 400 terrorist suspects it requires a great deal of resources to investigate them,” said James Hart, police commissioner of the City of London, a prime Al-Qaeda target. “It’s impossible. You simply have to make intelligent guesses about who to watch. It’s a bit of a lottery.”
I hate to state the bleedin' obvious! Isn't that what 'intelligence cells/units' are for?

Hmmm...

Hart’s comments were backed by opposition MPs. Patrick Mercer, Tory spokesman for homeland security, said the government should act straight away to increase funding for counter-terrorism.
I always thought that Conservative governments have traditionally been a good deal worse in this regard than Labour....

Darth_Doctrinus said:
Hmmm...

Hart’s comments were backed by opposition MPs. Patrick Mercer, Tory spokesman for homeland security, said the government should act straight away to increase funding for counter-terrorism.
I always thought that Conservative governments have traditionally been a good deal worse in this regard than Labour....
Opposition jumping on the 'told you so / we should do more' bandwagon? Never! :lol:

The only person I ever heard agreeing with an opposition leader was Michael Howard. Can't remember the quote, it was on Radio 4, something about canopes at a conference meeting.......

Enoch Powell said in the sixties that unrestricted immigration of ethic minorities would result in 'rivers of blood' on British streets. He was pilloried for it. Sadly, it appears that he may well have right all along!

FunkyNewBlood said:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-2125413,00.html

AT LEAST 400 Al-Qaeda terrorist suspects — double the previous estimates — are at large in Britain, according to police and MI5.

Dame Eliza Manningham-Buller, director-general of MI5, has said the figure could be as high as 600 if all those thought to have returned from combat training in camps in Pakistan, Afghanistan and elsewhere are included.

The new assessment — effectively a “terror audit” of Britain — was confirmed this weekend by one of Britain’s most senior police officers, who warned that shortages of trained surveillance teams were undermining attempts to monitor all the suspects.

“With about 400 terrorist suspects it requires a great deal of resources to investigate them,” said James Hart, police commissioner of the City of London, a prime Al-Qaeda target. “It’s impossible. You simply have to make intelligent guesses about who to watch. It’s a bit of a lottery.”
I hate to state the bleedin' obvious! Isn't that what 'intelligence cells/units' are for?
Me thinks this has more to do with whatsher face wanting more money when it comes to the next budget review.