40 yr old infanteer, realistic?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Ginge_mcc, Oct 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, after several years working overseas on various jobs, i'm now looking to return to the UK full time. One of the reasons for this return is I want to get back some of that pride which comes with serving your country. I'm an ex regular of 16 yrs (RAF aircraft tech) but always had in the back of my mind that i'd like to be at the pointy end of the spear, and thus an infantryman. My age rules me out as a regular (40 in April 2013) but I want to know what are the realistic chances of my completing training in a TA infantry unit? (and then getting to deploy on ops with that unit?)
    I'm in fairly good nick physically for my age (1.5 ml sub 9 mins, compete in triathlons,marathons etc) Does anyone have experience/serve with old farts like me who can still cut the mustard on ops?
    Long post I know, been looking at the forum on and off for a few years now, but just joined and this is my first post, so please excuse me if i've missed the answer to my questions in other threads.

2. Why not utilise your previous experience and join the RAF Regiment? That way you wouldn't be starting from scratch and would partially meet your desire to be at the pointy end of a errrrrrrrrrrrrr ................. traffic control barrier.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks for the reply Ethel, I haven't ruled out the RAF REGT reserve, and worked with some belting Rocks during my career. In my experience their role is slightly more limited than an Army infantry unit, and I'm looking to join to get on OPs as an infantryman workung alongside the Regs, and not just being used as a static guard as I have seen happen to RAF REGT reserves whilst on OPs. Plus with my history I'd always be "just a Guin" whereas in the TA I can lose my shamefull past more easily ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

raf regt recruit up to 55 TA is 38 now I think

5. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Ask Bravo_Bravo, he's the fundi on this subject.

6. Can't imagine that's a consideration, a young NCO may have loads of experience.

• Like Like x 2
  7. I went back at age 37 and didn't have a problem with young JNCO's.

Respect works both ways.

Oh, hang on - it might have been pity...

• Like Like x 2
  8. Grumblegrunt

some stuff I read they prefer the old hands now as the young ones give up too easily due to nu labour and the every ones a winner culture. for which I blame jarrod and rohypnol.

allowing older guys into the regs who havent spend 20 years becoming bitter, twisted and fat probably wouldn't be so bad a thing. I served with many privates who were way over 30 before they started picking on them and driving them out in the early 90's

9. Drivers_log I managed to bite my tongue for 16 years whilst plenty of 19 yr old junior officers and Loadmaster SNCOs made some ridiculous decisions. I'm older, wiser and even more tolerant of it now. Respect the rank not always the man etc.
    Incidentally, a lot of those younger guys contemporaries were bloody switched on cookies.
    To be honest, I just wanna get up to new year, find out where I'll be living, and get cracking at whichever unit will take me!

10. Soldiering in your early 90's can't have been easy though.

Respect.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

12. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Joining ta inf absolutely no problem at 40, if fit enough, which sounds as if you are.
    However, personally I doubt if you will be able to deploy on ops due to lack of time, unless we go somewhere new after afg draws down.

13. Grumblegrunt

keeps creeping up then, last I looked it was 38 so didn't bother as I've just turned 43.

14. Grumblegrunt

before I broke my wrist I was due to join 501 at brize. they reckoned that you could be out on tour within the year as demand was so high. especially with them scrapping the st mawgan sqn.

15. Thanks Brotherton Lad, I have seen various ages written in various places, with differeing ages for different roles, but consensus seems to be must start phase 1 truing before 44th birthday?