40 years of the Harrier

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by maguire, Jul 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

2. classy piece of kit

my R.E. father saw the flying bedstead being tested

3. Fantastic aircraft - could't understand why they didn't have one in the flying display last weekend at RIAT Fairford?
    (ok there was a flypast of two naval harriers)

4. The majority of RAF Harriers are all on second and third line servicing at the mo', due to extended times in the field, so they are all in bits, those that aren't were far too busy for RIAT sadly, but there you go, that what "Lean" means....nothing spare, nothing in reserve...

5. For me, its up there with the Spitfire, the Lancaster & the Mosquito as one of the greatest British aircraft ever designed, a revolutionary technological advancement that proved a highly effective & practical weapon. It won air superiority in the Falklands, and in its British and American variants has provided close air support ever since-I've heard it was the aircraft type with the highest number of sorties in both Gulf Wars (correct me if I'm wrong). Also, a great performer at airshows! As its entering the twilight of its service career, heres hoping the F-35 Lightning can live up to its legacy...

6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

40 years?!?! Bl00dy hell, doesn't time fly!

One of the sexiest aircraft ever made imho.

7. That'll be the Navy's Sea Harrier - now retired early to save cash. Not that its passing was without comment, of course, particularly on the infamous Sea Jet thread (PPRuNe). I suppose we should be glad a reasonable number are still in MOD hands, including the ones kept alive(ish) for ground based training - some of which can be seen here.

Still having problems posting links - the box doesn't pop up.

8. Differant version of the same plane y'pedantic git ;-)!

9. Happy memories of 3 and 4 Squadron in Gutersloh beasting there Harriers around IGB/BFG in the late 80's early 90's.
    Even when one fell into the block carpark and almost killed my car and an off duty copper(RAFP) :D

10. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

do you know the Harrier's genesis can be traced back to a French design?? :wink:

11. Do you have any link for that????

12. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

from harrier.org.uk itself - http://www.harrier.org.uk/history/history1_1.htm

13. A french drawing of a possible idea, not a working design!

14. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

hence why I said 'the Harrier's genesis can be traced back to a French design' - not 'the harrier is a french design'.

the Gyroptere shares the same planform and rotating exhaust nozzle arrangement as the Harrier, if you look at the diagram on the harrier.org page... his design was almost directly responsible for the Pegasus, without which the P.1127 and then the Harrier would have been a non-starter.

15. A great pitty that the Labour Party cancelled the P1154 super sonic Fighter and went for the P1127 Harrier/ Kestral that at the time was meant to only be a prototype