40 years and then its on your bike - apparently!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Grumblegrunt, Jun 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

2. I read somewhere that it took something like 3 million years to lay down enough oil to meet a single year's demand. Mind you there's a bunch of Russians who believe that oil is produced in the Earth's core and seeps towards the surface, suspiciously like wishful thinking to me.

It won't get the Cousins out of their V8 pickups though.

3. Best we shut all our nuclear power plants down as they are dangerous then. Oh sorry this is the UK not Germany.....

4. Grumblegrunt

I'm glad I intend to end it before it comes, it will be an interesting few decades though

5. But why did it take Grumblegrunt 4 years to start his thread?

The article's dated 14 June 2007.

6. If this did ever happen, then it's the third world country's who would reign supreme , as they are the only culture who could cope with such a apoplectic scenario.

7. I suspect that it would be the opposite. Without oil, they wouldn't be receiving aid and pharmaceuticals. Nor would they be able to transport their produce to the larger consumers - the 1st and 2nd Worlds.

Add in diesel-powered water pumps, tractors, local generators, paraffin heaters/lights...

8. Grumblegrunt

probably because I wouldnt have read the original at the time as work didnt get the indy (just torygraph, grauinad and the daily wail) and its been re-flagged up for some reason. still valid reading and explains why they are going mad for fracking and other dubious practices.

I can change it to 36 years and its on your bike :)

chances are its wrong though as they bring this arguament up quite regularly based on current stocks, siberia has huge reserves which they cant get to and they havent managed true deep ocean drilling yet.

9. Depends how fast we use it. Military vehicles probably account for quite a lot, not helped by the US foraying across half the globe. It'd be greener to stick to local wars.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I don't if I'd say most third world countries are in any way really 'coping' at the moment and will struggle much more when the first worlds trying to stop its own people from starving. In the best case scenario we simply cut all aid, in the worst case we'll be taking what we need from them with whats left of our militaries if not setting up full blown colonies. Once the oil goes its bad news for everyone unless a hell of alot of work gets done in everything from transport to agriculture in the next few decades.

11. WAH.........

12. Apoplectic?

:biggrin:

13. I actually blame the Third World countries for the fuel famine, it's their selfish wants that are feeding the problem. They don't need our resources, if they used the millions of dead babies they produce every year as fuel then we in the west would be better supplied for oil. Bastards.

• Like Like x 2
  14. The End Of Civilisation As We Know It? You'd hardly be pleased, would you? :)

15. I remember being told in school that there was only ever 15 yrs worth of oil readily availabe at any one time, there's plenty of oil left it's just getting harder to find and more expensive to exploit.
    There's a place (in Canada I seem to remember) where there's a huge ammount of oil, centuries worth, it's just that it comes as saturated sand, now it's very possible to get it out it's just wasn't worth it for the price per barrel of oil, price goes up and all of a sudden it becomes viable.

BTW Opec and other oil producers LOVE it when there is real worry that oil will run out.