40 Commando RM / Welsh Guards ..For the record.....

Can anyone come up with any documentary evidence that the Household Division somehow manuoevered two of its battalions and two troops of armored recce onto Op Corporate? I doubt that its senior officers had much influence. CGS was a Jacket, in fact the Black Mafia dominated the army board. AG was a sapper. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Can anyone come up with any documentary evidence that the Household Division somehow manuoevered two of its battalions and two troops of armored recce onto Op Corporate? I doubt that it’s senior officers had much influence. CGS was a Jacket, in fact the Black Madia dominated the army board. AG was a sapper. Any ideas?
I was trying to make the point, in my previous post, that events at the time don't point remotely in that direction. WG were in-role as SPEARHEAD, albeit only just, and were (rightly) allowed to get their bet-up training behind them before going south, which (kinda) delayed their deployment, which (kinda) had to happen lest the SPEARHEAD concept be called into question. But there was clearly a need for more boots on the ground than a single battalion, so others were 'scrambled'.

If I was looking for signs of elbowing to the front, I'd be looking there - but in truth, what with Arms Plots and the vitally important Op BANNER roster, it's not like the Army had much in the way of spare soldiers to fling into an ad hoc/ outta-the-blue war halfway across the globe.

ugly

LE
I was trying to make the point, in my previous post, that events at the time don't point remotely in that direction. WG were in-role as SPEARHEAD, albeit only just, and were (rightly) allowed to get their bet-up training behind them before going south, which (kinda) delayed their deployment, which (kinda) had to happen lest the SPEARHEAD concept be called into question. But there was clearly a need for more boots on the ground than a single battalion, so others were 'scrambled'.

If I was looking for signs of elbowing to the front, I'd be looking there - but in truth, what with Arms Plots and the vitally important Op BANNER roster, it's not like the Army had much in the way of spare soldiers to fling into an ad hoc/ outta-the-blue war halfway across the globe.
Aye 1 PARA came off Spearhead in the Feb.

As a matter of interest, who got spammed at short notice for Belize? Or did the previous Bn stag on?
The latter, I should think. I've no idea how long were those tours - I'd guess 6 months, so incumbents remain in situ until someone comes to take over seems obvious.

1RTR had returned from annual firing at Hohne about 2 weeks or so before it all kicked off. As we were in a recce role at the time, to say that we were underwhelmed to hear that a bunch of PD donkey wallopers were heading south would be the understatement of the year.

As a matter of interest, who got spammed at short notice for Belize? Or did the previous Bn stag on?
I was in Belize at the time, I recall H Jones careening around the Mess like a young subby with CO 1 Royal Irish during their recce, they had no sooner returned to the UK when the Argentinians kicked off. 3 Royal Anglian relieved 1 Royal Irish.
A much more 'sedate' unit than the Paras, though a good bunch nonetheless.

Can anyone come up with any documentary evidence that the Household Division somehow manuoevered two of its battalions and two troops of armored recce onto Op Corporate? I doubt that its senior officers had much influence. CGS was a Jacket, in fact the Black Mafia dominated the army board. AG was a sapper. Any ideas?
Although it was slightly before my time the word at depot was that 3RGJ were Spearhead battalion at the time and as such, should have gone, but were bumped off it by the Welsh Guards.
This plaque, as someone has already stated, looks like an attempt at giving the WG something other than complete disaster in their regimental history of the Falklands war.
IIRC Tailour has a personal axe to grind as was he personally who urged the guards to get off the ship, being overruled by some bellend of a guards office who (afaik) has never been named.

IIRC the WG Officer who refused to get his men off the ship was a Coy Cmdr rather than the CO, I can't remember where I read this as I've got one or two books on the Conflict however, as always I'm ready to be corrected.

Ewan S-T was a major.His seniority in the RM back then made him equal to army Lt Col.
The same applied to all RM officers------ ie, after so many years in their rank,(don't know how long) they were equivalent to one rank up in the army.
Which would explain why RM often had captains(senior) commanding a company.
This was amended in the 90s.

There must be an "Old Sweat" ex RM officer on here who can confirm.

1RS / QOH both went down immediately afterwards, to do lots and lots of LFTT under not-quite-peacetime safety rules. Certainly, the tales of "yeah, we got 80 of us on a Chinook, the weather was closing in" were convincing...
QoHldrs relieved the Tree Frogs, the "Hampshire Tigers" relieved the QoHldrs, for some reason I have in mind the Irish Rangers relieving the Tigers, followed by the Royal Scots, who were then relieved by the Coldstream Guards, I was there for every handover except the end of the Irish and start of the Royal Scot tours, I had a bit of leave over that one. They were all good lads, except the Coldstreams, who happened to be total *******.

Last edited:
Although it was slightly before my time the word at depot was
. . . Ill-informed :)
IIRC Tailour has a personal axe to grind
I don't think he's involved in this episode. Correct me if I'm missing something.

He's never struck me as one to grind a personal axe, rather he was and remains appalled at the failure of a too-casual few to properly discharge their professional obligations despite repeatedly being given the best possible expert advice.

Ewan S-T was a major.His seniority in the RM back then made him equal to army Lt Col.
The same applied to all RM officers------ ie, after so many years in their rank,(don't know how long) they were equivalent to one rank up in the army.
Which would explain why RM often had captains(senior) commanding a company.
This was amended in the 90s.

There must be an "Old Sweat" ex RM officer on here who can confirm.
Royal Marine officer ranks were aligned with those of the Army on 1 July 1999.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Gunners 18
Itainthalfhotmum The Intelligence Cell 1
P Gunners 4