40 Commando RM / Welsh Guards ..For the record.....

I believe he was a Guardsman in 2 Scots Guards who disappeared after Tumbledown and apparently reappeared after the surrender claiming to have lost his memory. However, I don't recall his name, but as you say, there was a documentary which mentioned the incident.
There was a drama too, ‘Resurrected’, with David Thewlis.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I believe he was a Guardsman in 2 Scots Guards who disappeared after Tumbledown and apparently reappeared after the surrender claiming to have lost his memory. However, I don't recall his name, but as you say, there was a documentary which mentioned the incident.
He had a book out about it, "Summer Soldier" I think, have/had a copy. It was unimpressive, if you're going to write a book vindicating yourself, it's probably best to avoid looking like a thundercunt.

I was over there with 137 Java Bty. imediately after the war. About 6 weeks after we arrived at Fitzroy I was working with Kev Killmartin over at Bluff Cove rigging up his electrics so his Genny came on when switching on his bedside lamp in the morning and went off at night when he switched it off at night. After dinner that evening and over a rum Kev postulated the idea that a Jock stretcher bearer had taken as much as he could and then ran away and was hiding out locally. I assumed he was living in one of his barns, he now wanted to go home and what would our reaction be.
My answer was that the blokes would recognise he had done far more than they had and welcome him back.
Four days later I walked back to Fitzroy and the blokes came out to tell me I had missed a great party when one of the Jocks came in so they got him a shower, haircut, fresh clothing and a welcome home party. They then arranged for him to fly home.
A couple of days later the BC announced that the free newspapers would cease in five days and we would have to pay for them if we wanted to carry on receiving them.
Next days one of the rags had the above story and was banging on about how he was a coward etc.
Brian F read this and announced that he wasn't going to pay money to read that sort of crap, so that was decided.
Over to you @ACAB .

Considering the subject of this thread,I'm surprised there are not many(Any?) comments from from Ex WG (FI)

ugly

LE
Considering the subject of this thread,I'm surprised there are not many(Any?) comments from from Ex WG (FI)
I used to work with one, He only made it ashore at Fitzroy in a stretcher.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

ugly

LE
I honestly cant remember his name. You bastards

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

ugly

LE

ugly

LE
Funnily enough I seem to recall his injuries weren't fire related but crush and penetration (fragments of boat I think!). It was over ten years ago and we only worked together for a week or two!

I worked with one too-------- he didn't say much either.He was big oppos with Simon Weston.

One rumour a couple of years afterwards, was that LAND (or predecessor) phoned round the available light-role Bn COs with a simple question: "Is your battalion ready to go to war, right now?"... and CO 2SG / CO 1WG (being Guards) were among the few who didn't hedge their bets; and said "Yes, we are". @hackle will be able to tell the truth on this, but AIUI 1st Bn The Queen's Own Highlanders were rather pissed off that they'd said yes, and weren't selected [1].

1PARA were stuck at Redford Barracks in Edinburgh at the time, were kept on Spearpoint, and were very miffed at not being allowed to go. IIRC, 1RS / QOH both went down immediately afterwards, to do lots and lots of LFTT under not-quite-peacetime safety rules. Certainly, the tales of "yeah, we got 80 of us on a Chinook, the weather was closing in" were convincing...

[1] Another apocrpyhal rumour, presumably untrue and urban legend, was that on day two or three, as Task Forces are being scrambled, the RN is throwing everything it can onto ships, SSNs are sailing south at max chat, etc, etc... that Hereford had to phone up Northwood and say "so... are we invited too?".
I heard Gen Mike Rose talking about this at length in March and can state that isn’t quite correct.

However he did have to persuade the senior admirals that they were worth taking as most of them didn’t have the faintest idea who they were and what they did, other than trash embassies in hostage situations. It was an entirely Navy run operation initially so they hadn’t thought about the SAS as the SBS were involved.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Gunners 18
Itainthalfhotmum The Intelligence Cell 1
P Gunners 4