4 Tier Grading

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by The-Goose, May 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My Auntie lives in MSQs in Germany, where they have decided to regrade the housing and increase charges by in some cases over 100%!! In many cases there will be no improvement in any housing, infact given the slightly "insecure" state of our existence in BA(G) (is that right?), she says that they are now not spending any more where she lives (near JHQ).
    that doesn't seem accurate, is she right?

2. I bet she is, but maybe the bad news has not been widely briefed.

3. yeah we just got a piece of paper through the door saying the quarters are going up-(live in JHQ) - been in quarters for 9 yrs now and these are the worst one we have ever lived in, our dining room table is in the attic ffs.

as for not spending any more money on them - well they have just puma'ed a load of houses which are all empty and completed- (with people living off the camp in hirings ?) as we all know we will be leaving here in the next few years so i imagine they will spend some more money on the quarters but that will be before they hand them back to the germans and not for our benefit at all.

increase in rent and improvements of quarters yeah right what world are you living on - those two phrases never go together.

4. Doesn't seem right at all mate.

5. Thought it was likely to be right, but is it fair, how can people complian about this. If the houses are as bad as my Auntie says then (not just the building but state of kitchens/bathrooms, old style fittings and isolated location - she lives in Wildenrath - who can they complain to?

6. Your Auntie wants to contact her housing office, Elmpt I believe in this case. They have community meetings periodically to air your points accross.

7. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

[quote="Bad_to_the_bone]isolated location - she lives in Wildenrath - who can they complain to?[/quote]

Has it moved since the 70s then? It used to be quite close to Roermond, Monchengladbach, etc. I lived at Wassenberg then, and Wildenrath was 'the big city' for us!

8. Since the RAF left Wildenrath has become run down and has only a small NAAFI and a swimming pool, there is an all ranks community centre, which is -OK - but it is a long way from anywhere if you only have one car in your family and your husband uses it for work. I reckon my auntie will go back to UK, and after all i have seen on here about everywhere there closing it might be a good idea!??

9. You are out in the sticks at Wilders. I would not wish it on anyone. I totally agree with you on having a car. It is a definite must.

10. Grownup_Rafbrat

Shame. I'm now remembering how we used to cycle to camp from Wassenberg for our fun in the Harrier Club, the Bowling Alley, and indeed the Swimming pool! They also used to run buses for us to go to Roermond, etc. It was a great place to be a teenager, even in a one-car family. From what you say I can understand why it seems remote now.

Obviously Married Quarters have declined since the 60s and 70s too! Shame on all the privatisers and moneygrabbers who are responsible.

11. I don't think they have declined really, they are simply the same!! In many cases exactly the same!!

12. Has it moved since the 70s then? It used to be quite close to Roermond, Monchengladbach, etc. I lived at Wassenberg then, and Wildenrath was 'the big city' for us![/quote]

The camp has gone. Just a hanger on the old main drag left and the main Guardroom is still standing. The main road of old R.A.F. Wildenrath is now a B road. There are now new companies formed where the old trooping centre was. They have a high speed test track for trains on the old airfield. A company also builds trains there and exports them to Britain. They have fenced the quarter area and the entrance now is the old back gate. ( Peter Shultz) Via Arsbeck or Klinkum. I think the golf course is still there but german run.

13. Couple of points;

Firstly, you should have been notified of the Grading Board in advance. If you were not then you have a case to have the date of application of increased charges changed.

0114. Advance notice to occupants. Where the Service Authority convenes a 4 Tier Grading Board in accordance with the rolling 4 yearly programme or when there has been upgrade or refurbishment of accommodation outside the rolling programme, the accommodation sponsor is to notify occupants at least one month in advance of the date of the Board, thereby ensuring that occupants have advance notice that their charges may be affected and also so that they have an opportunity to request that their accommodation is included in the Board. Occupants of each SFA are to receive written notification. SLA occupants are to be informed via Unit orders and/or Unit notices.

Secondly, if you feel nothing has happened that would cause your charge to be raised then you can appeal as follows:

0116. Grading errors and challenges after a Grading Board. Following a Grading Board, should the SFA/SLA occupant suspect that there is an error in the Grading Points Summary Sheet or wish to challenge the findings of the Board, they should immediately inform the appropriate sponsor in writing. The findings of the Board may then be reviewed.

The sponsor is normally the SO2 G4 Mil estates at your UCADMIN HQ (normally Garrison or regional Bde HQ). Be aware though that it is not just improvements to your quarter that can affect the grade, but improvements to local amenities. These are defined as:

2. The following are recognised as essential amenities for SFA:

a. Shop where the normal week’s shopping can be purchased (NAAFI/ general grocery shop/corner shop or similar providing only a limited service is not considered an essential amenity) - 1 point

b. Bank or Automated Cash Dispenser (excluding those which charge all users for cash withdrawals) - 1 point

c. Post Office - 1 point

d. Doctor (for family) – 1 point

e. Dentist (for family) – 1 point

f. Service or public transport pick-up point – 1 point

Good Luck

14. Grownup_Rafbrat

Wow, it used to be so busy. All those green buildings in the woods gone! I worked at the Harrier Club one Summer Holidays, and used to wander through the woods to the Simulator Building to meet my Dad. Such a shame it's all gone, but I suppose someone somewhere thinks it isn't needed any more.

15. If you can get access to DII then download JSP 464 part 4. It appears to have no restricted or mgmt caveat. It covers all aspects of the 4TG system including allocation of points. My experience is that some garrisons do overgrade their quarters.

On moving in to a new quarter compare where you are to the tables in JSP 464 and if you feel it is over-graded, then challenge the grading. You currently have 3 months from date of march in. The difference between grade 1 and grade 3 is over a grand a year and the difference is widening all the time.

This is not intended to be the rantings of a barrack room lawyer. But in the absence of morally corageous top-cover there are some things you just have to do for yourself now.