4 Rifles Hostage Rescue Training

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by BrunoNoMedals, Dec 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

MOD Internet News

It may just be standard training, but something grabbed my interest:

It may be wishful thinking on my part, but that sounds like it's got Somalia in mind. Are we a step closer to doing something about it, is it simply a "just in case" prep, or is it just bog-standard training?
  2. Doubt there is anything to read into it. Just the officer who wrote up the exercise plan had little imagination when he thought it up.
  3. We did a hostage rescue exercise in 1988 in 2 Mercian. It was a company level exercise. Good stuff. We couldn't get any 9mm blank so all the assault party were given GPMGs. Think Sproey just wanted us to make lots of noise!
  4. Hostage rescue was all the fad in exercises in the early 90's IIRC

I remember a cheeky little number in Cyprus where we did a covert conoe infil, tab, CTR and dawn attack on Paramali (sp) Village to rescue the Guvnors fair maiden daughter (who was your obligatory fat arrsed WRAC) followed by an exfil to the beach where we had to abseil down a cliff face and picked up by landing craft

It was a bit boys own adventure and the troopys imagination ran a bit wild
  5. Yes, in our one we had to rescue a nuclear physicist and his daughter from PIRA!
  6. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

So basically, HRT is common enough and, when done, usually evokes particularly imaginative scenarios from the boss?
  7. Yes it was , and I remember the cheeky little slog to get up to Paramali, which is about a mile from the bloody Sun. I think we had to rescue some aid workers or journalists . Bad village that, you think someone would have done something about the inhabitants. They were forever taking hostages :D
  8. I also remember the locals of Paramali being less than friendly. After our cadre course cleared the area of enemy the locals took us all prisoner, blindfolded us, put us in the back of a bedford, doused us with a fire hose and then gave us the night to reach an RV on the other side of the training area in pairs with no map and 2 water bottles each pursued by dog teams..