4 PWRR

Depends on the need for someone to get promoted.
You don't get picked up as a high flyer for just doing a good job. You have to be seen to have made a 'difference'
So, you change something that has worked for decades, and trumpet it as the most innovative thing since sliced bread. Then you get promoted, and are safely away before the consequences if the change appear.
A few years later, someone who needs a promotion reinvents the thing that was changed...
Rinse and repeat.
You don't happen to work for BT by any chance do you.........?

Depends on the need for someone to get promoted.
You don't get picked up as a high flyer for just doing a good job. You have to be seen to have made a 'difference'
So, you change something that has worked for decades, and trumpet it as the most innovative thing since sliced bread. Then you get promoted, and are safely away before the consequences of the change appear.
A few years later, someone who needs a promotion reinvents the thing that was changed...
Rinse and repeat.
Normally true,however I believe it's safe to say that REME has shot its bolt on this. In the course of the transparent empire building move to Bns, and now its failure to meet the Reserve challenge, the corps has lost a huge amount of credibility with - well, everyone. The odds on REME remaining as a corps have shortened considerably.

You may well get integral ES at reserve first line units in the future, but I doubt they'll be wearing REME capbadges.

Normally true,however I believe it's safe to say that REME has shot its bolt on this. In the course of the transparent empire building move to Bns, and now its failure to meet the Reserve challenge, the corps has lost a huge amount of credibility with - well, everyone. The odds on REME remaining as a corps have shortened considerably.

You may well get integral ES at reserve first line units in the future, but I doubt they'll be wearing REME capbadges.
I'm in two minds about this one.
Firstly, REME battalions seem like a good idea on paper, and probably did sort of work in practice, but they never really developed a doctrine for using them. Certainly the ORBAT for the REME battalions often looked a bit odd.

LADs were good in practice, but (certainly in the Reserves) weren't well manned, were very hard to keep current in training, and had no clear chain of command to career manage them. Size meant that there was very limited career progression available. Putting them under a REME Battalion hierarchy looked a good idea, but other units got seriously hacked off at losing their first line repair capability. It did look very like empire building.

The natural size of a REME unit appears to be the Company, but then you lose the 'benefits' of a Bn HQ, and in all honesty, the case for having a separate REME when you could simply roll it into the RLC still looks quite weak.

I wouldn't be surprised if in the future you saw RLC Battalions, with a 'REME' Workshop Coy, but with Coy sized recovery and support elements blistered onto the BG.

It did look very like empire building.

It looked very like empire building because it was very like empire building. In fact, delete "very like". As one of the few fortunate REME bods to have avoided REME 2nd line (until STABdom was conferred upon me) I have looked on as my corps has screwed itself into a frigging pretzel to justify extra CO slots whilst the soldiers have been subjected to death of morale by a thousand cuts. (Insert an n into cuts for a more accurate description).

It pains me to say it, but my corps (which for all its faults I still love) doesn't deserve to survive, and probably won't.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be surprised if in the future you saw RLC Battalions, with a 'REME' Workshop Coy, but with Coy sized recovery and support elements blistered onto the BG.
How about a single battalion/regiment with:
  • A supply/transport company/squadron
  • A maintenance/repair company/squadron
  • A medical support company/squadron
I know that 19 CSS was deemed a failure, but the US Army clearly consider the Brigade Support Battalion concept to be a success.....

That's because they probably give it direction, resources and correctly balanced manning. I also wouldn't be surprised if it was integrated properly into its brigade and did its job in barracks.
So basically everything opposite of our half arsed silly efforts.....

To reinforce @lacrabat on good ideas poorly executed, have a gander at 101Log Bde. Basically a dumping ground for all the units the sexy bdes don't want, with the useful /required bits cherry picked to death whilst the rest whither on the vine.

I saw this and couldn't believe it. My old mob getting a new Bn, while my new mob gets a new Company. Looks like somebody is trying to enlarge the inf a little bit.

ugly

LE
It may end up as skeleton companies, cadres for expansion using reservists

It may end up as skeleton companies, cadres for expansion using reservists

You mean... going back to how we were structured before 1998, when we would be brought up to War Establishment by recalled Regular Reservists?

It is like the Bobby Ewing in the shower moment. The past 20 years were just a horrible dream...

Hector, you could go back even further to 1 April 1967 when the 5th (Volunteer) Battalion of the Queen's Regiment was formed. The battalions' role in wartime was to reinforce the four regular battalions of the regiment. On mobilisation 'A' (Queen's Surreys) Company would have been attached to the regular 1st Battalion, 'B' (Queen's Own Buffs) Company to the 2nd Battalion, 'C' (Cinque Ports) Company to 3 Queen's (I think by now you can see which way this is going) and finally 'D' (Middlesex) Company to 4 Queen's.

Hector, you could go back even further to 1 April 1967 when the 5th (Volunteer) Battalion of the Queen's Regiment was formed. The battalions' role in wartime was to reinforce the four regular battalions of the regiment. On mobilisation 'A' (Queen's Surreys) Company would have been attached to the regular 1st Battalion, 'B' (Queen's Own Buffs) Company to the 2nd Battalion, 'C' (Cinque Ports) Company to 3 Queen's (I think by now you can see which way this is going) and finally 'D' (Middlesex) Company to 4 Queen's.
Before my time, but it appears that the concept of the formed Reservist unit being brought up to strength may be coming back, and replacing the Reservist-unit-as- individual-manpower-pool that we currently have.

ugly

LE
I've postulated a formula for reservists based upon pre WW1 German practise of trained manpower pool of ex regulars and volunteers being mobilised every couple of years for a couple of months deployment either to BATUS or similar locations with parent unit. The volunteer element taking the role of cadre attending a drill weekend each month at the parent regular unit run by regulars.
The trained pool would come from incentives offered for free college and university places based upon a two year stint as a regular or a four year stint in an OTC followed by a year or two (depending upon trade) as a regular officer followed by a reserve commitment to aged forty.
Yes it would require legislation but would allow a smaller regular army to be bolstered in effect by ready reservists until the next generation of conscripts are trained!

Sounds sensible and requires legislation and cash.
Would that I could say we would implement it.

ugly

LE
Sounds sensible and requires legislation and cash.
Would that I could say we would implement it.
Everything requires willpower and someone to drive it through. For those of the snowflake generation who wouldn't want to miss out but don't want to get their hands bloody we could train in a civil defence role!
I think it's a win win, service is repaid with free higher education or rather fully funded HE and a commitment to serve if the shtf nationally!

I've postulated a formula for reservists based upon pre WW1 German practise of trained manpower pool of ex regulars and volunteers being mobilised every couple of years for a couple of months deployment either to BATUS or similar locations with parent unit. The volunteer element taking the role of cadre attending a drill weekend each month at the parent regular unit run by regulars.
The trained pool would come from incentives offered for free college and university places based upon a two year stint as a regular or a four year stint in an OTC followed by a year or two (depending upon trade) as a regular officer followed by a reserve commitment to aged forty.
Yes it would require legislation but would allow a smaller regular army to be bolstered in effect by ready reservists until the next generation of conscripts are trained!

So a regular reserve with a training commitment ?

ugly

LE
With a volunteer component all integrated, the trick is to incentivise at the start so folk get free bursaries for higher education and it's paid back through service, elc's whilst a good idea are at the end of your career and mean using up time that could be spent earning in later education.

Where will the new unit be based though? Guildford was closed down when 5 and 6/7 got merged, so was Horsham. They are now housing developments. Anyone in my area (Cranleigh) who wants to do infantry now has to travel over 20 miles to Farnham, or down to Worthing. It's asking a lot of a young bloke, who might not even have a driving licence yet, to slog all that way.

Latest Threads