4 PWRR

diehard57

War Hero
Yesterdays announcement that a new AR battalion of the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment is to be formed came as a bit of a surprise to me. It had been strongly rumoured that B (Queen's Regiment) Company would be leaving the London Regiment to join 3 PWRR, is this still the case or will they now be part of this new battalion? Does anyone know where BHQ and the rifle companies within 4 PWRR will be based? Will any of the old 5 PWRR and 6/7 PWRR locations be ressurected? Probably early days I know but any info would be welcomed.

diehard57

War Hero
Cheers QRK2. Funny how what goes around comes around. Back in the day Farnham and Crawley were both TAC's in 6/7 QUEEN'S as was B Company LONDONS with TAC's at Edgware and Hornsey in North London. I think that 6/7 PWRR also had a company in Portsmouth.

wild_moose

War Hero
They've just transferred the Portsmouth PWRR Company to the AAC so now they've got to start a new one - doesn't seem the most efficient solution.

WM

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Cheers QRK2. Funny how what goes around comes around. Back in the day Farnham and Crawley were both TAC's in 6/7 QUEEN'S as was B Company LONDONS with TAC's at Edgware and Hornsey in North London. I think that 6/7 PWRR also had a company in Portsmouth.
C Coy at Portsmouth (and Isle of Wight platoon) came along after B Coy LONDONS had left 6/7. I transferred out of B Coy at Edgware when 8QF formed. I went to D Coy 6/7 at Sutton for a few years before ending up at A Coy Farnham. C Coy was Crawley then.

Memory is getting a bit hazy now but I think C Coy Portsmouth joining 6/7 might have been about the time that PWRR formed. They were possibly Wessex before.

Are you still with A coy 3pwrr?
Er No - left in 1999 - I'm now one of those piss artists you'll see at the bar on Remembrance Sunday. I did join at the same time as Dylan - and know Frizz well (see picture of 1977 Westdown recruits cadre on the front stairs - I'm on it!)

ugly

LE
They've just transferred the Portsmouth PWRR Company to the AAC so now they've got to start a new one - doesn't seem the most efficient solution.

WM

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
Well its a simple solution to finding roles for those who don't like the AAC isn't it, after all not everyone will be or find the job suitable or to their liking. Nice to see the area getting a choice of reserve units to join, giving the choice is great!

DB_Cooper

Old-Salt
Shame 4 PWRR won't stretch as far as East Anglia has **** all, and there are quite a few Ex Tigers up here

wild_moose

War Hero
Well its a simple solution to finding roles for those who don't like the AAC isn't it, after all not everyone will be or find the job suitable or to their liking. Nice to see the area getting a choice of reserve units to join, giving the choice is great!
I agree with what you're saying but my point was that it's a shame they rebadged PWRR to AAC then formed a new PWRR company.

I'm suggesting it would have been more efficient to leave PWRR as was, create a new AAC Squadron and then people could move across from the PWRR, and other AR units, as they wished

ugly

LE
I agree but better late than never

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Who'd have thought it? The Army apparently needs more infantry. Better late than never, and a hell of a lot more sensible than the REME expansion, which it's replacing.

Best of luck to the new Stab Squidgies.

Anything is more sensible than the recent REME reserve stupidity, or should that be everything is more sensible?

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
In about 5 - 6 years time, working on the "wheel of ideas" process, look out for an "Embedded Logistic Support Team" or some such consisting of ex REME (as we all will be by then) along with ex RLC stores section and MT section (depending on role), allowing the infantry to get on with being infantry whilst we deal with all the fixy stuff we used to.

Looking forward to the rebirth of the Army Service Corps!

But we still won't be getting our LADs back
Depends on the need for someone to get promoted.
You don't get picked up as a high flyer for just doing a good job. You have to be seen to have made a 'difference'
So, you change something that has worked for decades, and trumpet it as the most innovative thing since sliced bread. Then you get promoted, and are safely away before the consequences of the change appear.
A few years later, someone who needs a promotion reinvents the thing that was changed...
Rinse and repeat.

Last edited:

Latest Threads