4 para

I am looking into joining 4para,i am 38,6 months old. My fitness is good.
I would like some help/advice on the process of applying,how long it takes ect..
What is the age limit on joining this unit as i see different age limits online. Its hard to figure out what is actually real? What are the run times for 4para,and is it the same as the regulars..
If i applied before i was 39 does that give me enough time?
Any help or advice would be grateful.
Thanks

D8853DF2-C6BE-40A3-BF80-FEB667AD77E2.png

Thanks for taking the time to reply,much appreciated.
With the age limit of applying is 39.6 years old.
Do they have a specific age limit for passing P.coy. as i can't see anything that mentions it on there.

Peg

Clanker
Thanks for taking the time to reply,much appreciated.
With the age limit of applying is 39.6 years old.
Do they have a specific age limit for passing P.coy. as i can't see anything that mentions it on there.
You have to pass P Coy by your 40th Birthday

I have just timed my first ever 2km run tonight and i got 8min 44 seconds. The target for para reserves is 8min 15seconds.
Is this somthing that can be reached within a few months and my age of 38?
Thanks guys for your help and advice so far.

Peg

Clanker
I have just timed my first ever 2km run tonight and i got 8min 44 seconds. The target for para reserves is 8min 15seconds.
What runs/ training are you currently doing? Have you tried incorporating intervals into your running programm?

Tingtang22

Clanker
Hey Craig,

As someone who is big into fitness (as a job too) I can assure you that you'll get that 8min15 with a time frame of a couple of months!

Get yourself in the gym (when they open) and start strengthening your leg muscles if you don't already. Make sure you do single sided things like Split Squats, lunges, leg press, that sort of thing. Plyometrics are great too, so basically high force jumping. Google it if you have no idea what I'm on about haha

With regards to the cardio side of things... aim for a minimum of 3 sessions a week (plus 2x gym I'd advise). 2x longer and steady runs and 1x interval training. With about 6 weeks to go til selection you can up this to 2x interval (so 1x endurance). Endurance aim to be out of breath but you can talk. If you've done loads of running before then this is your 8-12kms. If you haven't then start short and aim for 5kms. You could also switch this for something like a bike ride, rowing machine, swimming session if you're worried about 3x running sessions being too much high impact. Train for about an hour each session. Not fast though, don't test yourself. You'll gradually get faster without meaning to over the weeks if you pick the runs. This session trains your aerobic energy system.

Then the interval runs could be something like
5mins warm up
1min sprint
3mins easy x5
5mins cool down

Or

5mins warm up
20secs sprint
40secs easy x5-8
Cool down

You could work this on distance too, so you could sprint for 0.5kms and have 0.5kms easy etc. The sessions don't have to be long, but they are super intense and well above the speed you need to do for your 8min15. That way, along with strengthening your muscles, improving your endurance and working on your speed, you'll deffo improve your run time!

Hope that helps and good luck! Any questions feel free to DM me :)

Mrcampbell

Swinger
Follow this and it should sort you out.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-08 at 14.27.26.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-08 at 14.27.26.png
    50.2 KB · Views: 42
Thanks guys for your advice and help,really kind of you.
TingTang22. I googled plyometrics as i did not know about them,but during gym sessions i have been adding all that in.
I have not attempted another PB on the 2k untill today. I was hoping to get around 8.20 but i managed 7.59. (I was blowing and it was hard ) but i do feel there is defo room for improvement with more training.
Just thought id share that as i have took on all you guys help and advice and its paying off so thanks again.

Tingtang22

Clanker
Thanks guys for your advice and help,really kind of you.
TingTang22. I googled plyometrics as i did not know about them,but during gym sessions i have been adding all that in.
I have not attempted another PB on the 2k untill today. I was hoping to get around 8.20 but i managed 7.59. (I was blowing and it was hard ) but i do feel there is defo room for improvement with more training.
Just thought id share that as i have took on all you guys help and advice and its paying off so thanks again.
That's an awesome improvement from last time, congrats! Very happy to help, I find plyometrics great for training power and speed! How long have you got til your assessment? Good luck! With the massive improvement you've already made, plus the adrenaline on the day, you'll smash it

Hi
@Tingtang22 i have finally got an AC date, 6/7th of September. I had had loads of messing back n forth with medical papers from the docs which has been a nightmare!
Do you have any tips for the bleep test,as im assuming they are keeping the bleep instead of the 2km run.
Thanks

Hi
@Tingtang22 i have finally got an AC date, 6/7th of September. I had had loads of messing back n forth with medical papers from the docs which has been a nightmare!
Do you have any tips for the bleep test,as im assuming they are keeping the bleep instead of the 2km run.
Thanks
Practice is my advice for the bleep test.

It is far too easy to go too hard too early and screw it up. Use the time you have, especially early so you don't tire yourself too early.

Latest Threads