4 para

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by jwhred, Feb 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, have you got any information on military gap years with 4 para, I'm on a gap year at the moment and going to uni next year and I want to join para regs after leaving but if i could do a year with 4 para during my studies that would be great, maybe get a tour in as well? Can I do this or I am just peeing in the wind?
    Any help would be much appreciated
    cheers james

2. I would look at the list of subject matter experts above and give The Duke a pm.

3. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

As you obviously know nothing about the subject matter in hand, step away from the keyboard and stop posting drivel.

jwhred,

The military gap year, now know as the SSRE (short service reservist engagement) is all done in 12 months, and designed to fit within a Uni gap year.

The first 6 months (approx) will see you join, do medicals, TA`recruit selection weekend and then a consolidated phase 1 and 2 training package culminating in TA CIC and P Coy. From here, if you pass, there will be a basic Para course, some adventure training and a few other bits and pieces. After this, and always assuming you are sucessful, you will be offered a short FTRS tour to one of the regular Bns. Depending when you do the SSRE, if there is a tour on then you will join for a least part of that tour, returning in time to pick up your Uni course again.

If 16X are not on tour, then your FTRS time will be spent in one of the Bns doing exercises, training etc - normal Bn life.
    If you have any queries, call one of the recruiting numbers on the 4 Para website and they will talk you through the whole process.

Duke

4. listen to the duke mate, he's one of the few blokes on here who knows what he's on about!

5. Thanks a lot Duke, I've got my pre AOSB coming up soon, that won't affect anything will it?

I just thought In my humble opinion that it would be good to come out of the factory with a better perspective on what life as a soldier is like and I would therefore be more qualified to lead them.

Thanks a lot!

6. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Not at all - lots on the MGY have been lineing themselves up for AOSB and subsequent AOSB.

7. Hmmm, this is the first time i've come across this "millitary gap year" thing.

Is it just for Para's or does it apply across the whole of the TA?

(Specifically to Signals) :)

8. You're too late to get on the MGY for this year if you're going to Universiy in September 2009.

Is there a 4 Para unit near the university you'll be going to or near where you live now?

9. My son did the Gap Year thing last year,going up to Uni in Sept 2008.He had to enlist in 4 Para,but never went to Pudsey!After a short course at RMA,he went to a battalion,and managed to do 5 months in The Stan,during his year.If he decides on becoming a regular after uni,he'll have to do the whole Factory thing etc.However both he,and the Army have had a chance to look at each other.Even if he does not go regular after uni,the gap year time spent will help with his CV IMHO.

10. I'm going to Notts Trent next year, but i don't mind moving away If it gives me the chance to do a tour in the 'stan. I want to do the MGY between my second and third years of uni, and IMHO one can't lead lead soldiers unless you can understand what it's like to be a soldier. Plus I'll be skint and I can't think of a better way to combine a tour, training and earning a few extra quid.

Jwhred

11. not knocking you at all pal, but just bear the following in mind over the coming years.

1. have worked with lads from 4 para over the yrs - on ex and ops. most are sound blokes.
    when some have been on ops with me they've mention plans like yours. but by going on ops some see a side of the reg army that puts them off and i feel because they have that get out clause they do walk away, where as a bloke who fully comitted has no other option than to get on with it - do you understand what im saying?

2. an officer will try to understand the blokes always - but unless he has been through the factory - he will never fully. even officers who have been toms 1st - i think either forget or where never of that mind set cos if they had they wouldnt of then become officers.

but im glad you wanta see it from our eyes first. good luck mate and who knows 1 day our paths may cross.

12. Thanks for the advice, I just thought that it wouldn't do me any harm, and may help me to empathize with the soldiers. I know that as an officer I would try and understand where they've come from, but surely the only way to do that is to serve time as one of them?

Aren't the best officers those that served as tom's first? Such has Sir Peter de la Billiere?

Jwhred

13. msr

msr LE

You would be better off completing your degree first.

msr

14. Unless the MGY counts as a "year in industry" and earns him a masters at the end of it.

The only problem is going back to university after a year's FTRS.

15. I want to go to sandhurst straight after uni, It justs seems a bit pointless to do a year with 4 para and then go of to sandhurst. Money's no incentive but I will be pretty skint by the time i reach the end of my second year and I just want to do something a bit more exciting than the OTC. 4 para seems like the ideal thing to do

Thanks for all the advice, I did speak to my ACA but he didn't seem to know anything about it.

Jwhred