4 PARA - Selection Weekend Question

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by A_STAB, Sep 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello Guys

I am part way through joining the TA i.e handing in paperwork and doing the BARB Tests.

I am a little confused about the processes after all the boring stuff has been done.

This is my understanding of what happens:

After the paperwork is done you go on a selection weekend where they carry out your medical and you perform sit-ups and push-ups, jerry can test, strength test and and 1.5 mile run. Now here is where i get confused i have herd this 1.5 miler called a Risk Reduction Run where you need to complete it in under 10:30 mins however i have also been told that I need to complete this in under 9:30.

so my question is do i complete the run in under 9:30 on the selection weekend or do I need to do it in under 10:30 for the first weekend and then on another training weekend i have to complete it in 9:30.

(Used the search function got several different answers)

Cheers in advance lads
  2. IIRC you have to do it in under 10:30 for the selection weekend then in under 9:30 before CIC/P-Coy.

Realistically you want to be hitting at least 9:30 before the training weekends start.
  3. ALWAYS a good idea to leave room for improvement.

If you can do 10:29 giving anything less than 100% then do so.

When you then do 9:29 on the second test you are significantly better regarded than the bloke what did 9:31 hanging out of his backside on test one and 9:29 on test two.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. No- if you stroll in having barely broken a sweat you'll just look jack
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ADSC time is 9.40 or less anything over, even by a second is a fail and a deferral
  6. So two different run times on two different trainings, cheers lads.

ADSC is that the selection?

I'm just going to try and blitz both ^_^
  7. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

The quote above contains the gospel - For TA Para the risk reduction run pass mark is 10.30. You will also need to score the max possible on the jerrycan walk (150m) and bag lift (40kg). There are no other physical selection tests conducted on the ADSC (Army Development & Selection Centre) run selection weekends. These standards are the common selection standards, with no scope for improvisation by the selection centre or Bn staff.

As said elsewhere on the thread (here: http://www.arrse.co.uk/ta-part-time-recruitment/176033-ta-risk-reduction-run-etc-2.html ) , that is the bare minimum to pass the risk reduction run, which aims to ensure you are fit to start training. If you are slower than 9.30 you will be a risk candidate and very unlikely to keep the pace once training starts. Therefore, whilst you have passed the selection standard, they may not load you onto the next cadre if they do not feel you are ready for it. Similarly, if you are just over the 10.30 you will fail the selection standard for 4 Para, but might have your application put on hold pending a re-test after you have worked on your fitness.
  8. Thanks for your reply Duke

So where do the press-ups and sit-ups come into it? P-coy?
  9. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Don't worry, they will form a regular part of your training once you have passed the medical and Risk Reduction Run! They are also part of the basic fitness assessment you will carry out several times during your recruit training and every year you serve thereafter.
  10. I just got back from ADSC last week, process was as follows:

Day 1:
    Ice Breaker
    Power bag lift (10Kg, 20Kg, 30Kg,40Kg)
    Jerry Can test ( 150 Meters)
    Military Lesson

Day 2:

Team Tasks (roughly last around 40 minutes)
    1.5 Mile Run
    Final Interview

I have applied for 4 Para, so made it my goal to pass all the main fitness tests, also ran the 1.5 in 9:27.

Training with plenty of running combined with a good diet before hand is always beneficial, as there were many at Selection that were clearly out of shape, It's not difficult stuff, best of luck.
  11. didn't you get to throw the dummy grenades and practice your war face?