4 PARA Recruitment

Royal1der

Swinger
Quick one...

I understand that the upper age limit is 39 for P Coy (before 40th birthday?). I have been informed that this is because of the boxing medical required for the milling (correct me if I'm wrong on that one?).
What would the situation be if there was a civi boxing medical already attained? Would the age limit still be in place? I've just turned 40, so not miles out of the ballpark.

Many thanks.

Milling is not boxing; it is a test of bottle and controlled aggression; stand toe-to-toe with your opponent and batter hell out of each other. You don't duck, weave, bob, or worse of all, turn away.

It tests who has the aggression to stand up in the face of incoming and give it back. You wont get an exempt pass on the basis of a civi boxing medical.

PJW

Clanker
Milling is not boxing; it is a test of bottle and controlled aggression; stand toe-to-toe with your opponent and batter hell out of each other. You don't duck, weave, bob, or worse of all, turn away.

It tests who has the aggression to stand up in the face of incoming and give it back. You wont get an exempt pass on the basis of a civi boxing medical.

Pretty sure he didn't say anything about an exempt pass. AIUI, the age cut off IS linked to the ability to get a boxing medical, therefore if the poster has one of these already completed, his question is wholly valid.

Royal1der

Swinger

I think you may have misunderstood my question... and I'm well aware of what milling is.

Regardless, it still requires a boxing medical, and the reason why the upper age limit was put in place (as far as our club swingers are aware), is because the Army doesn't cover over 40's on boxing meds.

But thanks.

A look at the England boxing website suggests that they will accept a medical certificate upto the end of an individual's 40th year.

I'd be surprised if anyone gave you a certificate after that. Equally, I'd be surprised if the Army bent over backwards to form a precedent for waivers for a tiny number of over-40s wishing to do AAPPS.

In_Twists

Old-Salt
Do 4 para have support elements at St Helens or Altcar?
I'm 36 and far far far far to unfit to get back into the whole infantry thing, nevermind p coy levels of fitness.
However being attached in a support role would be good considering the varied stuff the regiment get up to regarding exercises etc.
What support roles are available at both locations? And is a 36 to 37 year old going to get laughed out of the building?

Do you mean different capbadge, co-located at Altcar or St Helens, doing your own capbadge job in support of the Paras?

westyboy

Clanker
Hello everyone, hoping someone can give me some advice. I am interested in joining 4 para I’m currently working near rugby but Am from the South Wales area. Would it be possible To join D company in rugby and then tranfer to Newport if I was to go home to work? Thanks

Appreciate this is some time ago, but to confirm - D Coy is spread over the three locations so where you parade on training nights is irrelevant, you will train on exercise with the same people - we have students who do exactly as mentioned above.

Last edited:

westyboy

Clanker
Stepson is in Uni but is looking at the AR.
4Para are in Raglan Bks Newport, however I've been told that this is just an Admin centre. Is there a Rifle Coy/ Platoon there at all.
Not on FB so I can't check.

to confirm, yes there is a rifle Platoon at Newport.

There is an Open evening for all three D Coy locations this month, for further details please either:
Call 01788 544177
Head over to the Battalion facebook page to register interest
Message me privately on here:

Rugby - 22nd Sept
Nottingham - 23rd Sept
Newport - 30th Sept

-----------------------------------------------------
Edited to add A Coy (Scotland) Insight night Glasgow 15th September: apply for a ticket on

https://bit.ly/parareserveglasgowtickets

More details on Bn Facebook Page

Last edited:

westyboy

Clanker
Gents, whilst I have a quiet 5 mins I thought I'd drop back some FAQ's/Myths that we attract, both on the Battalion Facebook page and in person - appreciate most on here are possibly not potential 4 PARA recruits but just in case.

Can you still get your Para Wings in 4 PARA?
Yes, there was a period over the past 5 years where BPC's were few and far between, however this is now no longer the case - Army PJI's at Brize have helped with this. As such courses are now ran regularly and 4 PARA get slots on each. There is still a backlog in the Bn to get through, however if you're a regular attender you should expect to be offered a place within 12-18 months.

Can I deploy with the regulars?
Yes - 4 PARA Soldiers/Officers are utilised on UK and International exercises with 2/3 PARA, and 4 PARA soldiers have recently returned from supporting 2 PARA on Toral. Last year 4 PARA deployed as a Coy Gp as part of Swift Response.

Do you backfill 1 PARA?
No - 1 PARA are part of UKSF and as such attachments via the Reserves are not available.

What is the upper age limit?
You must start P Coy before your 40th birthday - we advise to apply no later than 38th birthday to give sufficient time for the application process.

I was in 3 PARA in the 90s, do I need to do any retraining?
Yes , due to the time lapsed the recruit cadre would need to be completed. You would not need to complete P Coy again.

Can I transfer straight into the regulars via 4 PARA?
No - FTRS (Full time Reserve Service) Contracts are available with 2/3 PARA, however these are a fixed term contract. To transfer into the regulars requires completing Depot PARA at Catterick, and Regular Pre-Parachute Selection (P Coy).

How many days can I do in 4 PARA?
Depending on rank there are up to 207 days available per person each year however these are generally for Command/support roles. As a Private Soldier there are days available for recruiting and for stores/driving but these are on a case by case basis.

Can I do Phase 1 & CIC/P Coy as a block at my local ATR as I have the summer off?
No - 4 PARA Recruit training is ran in house, as such there is a structured training calendar this is ran every 6 months at weekends.

Hope these help - if there are any more questions regarding transferring/joining please either post on here or message and I'll try and help.

RS1988

Swinger
Hi - if i want to join the regulars at a later date does this mean leaving the Army reserve and starting from day 1 at catterick?

Greenfly

On ROPS
On ROPs
@westyboy

A question that has come up on here in the past is 4 Para Officer. My understanding is it’s a G4 role only. Any gen you have dish out on the role of 4 PARA officers and the recruitment process. It may help.

westyboy

Clanker
@westyboy

A question that has come up on here in the past is 4 Para Officer. My understanding is it’s a G4 role only. Any gen you have dish out on the role of 4 PARA officers and the recruitment process. It may help.

Sure - As a junior Officer in 4 PARA you will be responsible for your Platoon both on training nights and exercises. You will do all of the role that you would expect on exercise - Orders prep/delivery and the Command/control element of the Platoon. There is the freedom to plan and deliver training for your location on training nights, and there is also the availability/potential to attach/deploy with 2/3 PARA in the same tactical role (not an admin/support role).

Due to the way the exercises are constructed, especially in the teaching phase/less scenario based element of the training calendar there is sometimes less of a tactical requirement for Platoon Commanders, however this wouldn't necessarily mean being lumbered with G4 - from experience the more flexible Coy Commanders I've worked with have used this time to develop the Pln Comds with Tewts etc.

Personally I've never experienced the above of being G4 only - we'd struggle to retain the brilliant Junior Officers that are currently in the Bn if this were the case!

The route to becoming a 4 PARA Officer is a slightly interesting one - we used to recruit extensively from the OTC's, predominantly OCdt's/2Lt's who had already completed Airborne Student within the OTC as this was a qualifying course, since the cessation of this they now come onto the recruit training cycle and complete AAPPS (AR) with the rest of the recruit cadre - as most of these then go on to Regular Sandhurst intake we have the 18-24 month turnover of Platoon Commanders, but nothing more than a regular posting. Currently we have no gaps in the Officer structure so must be doing something right.

westyboy

Clanker
Fantastic answer!
Thank you - As a follow up to this point about 4 PARA Officer recruiting there is the additional point to make about OTC Transfers. We have previously had a good inflow of transferees from the OTC who want to pursue a regular Commission in The Parachute Regiment, but do not want to undertake an AR Commission, it gives them an insight into the ethos/culture of the Regiment without the additional burden of the above whilst at University - it is absolutely not a detriment to the individual that they chose not to undertake an AR Commission.

From recent memory (approx 2 years) there are at least 5 Platoon Commanders in 2/3 PARA who chose this route.

Do they have to do regular PCD etc?

westyboy

Clanker
@westyboy

How often do you guys have the opportunity to deploy on exercise with 2 & 3 PARA?
It generally depends on the requirements from 2/3 PARA - sometimes it can be an individual who has a specific skillset who is required, or exercising troops to backfill a platoon/section. Clearly Covid has an impact this year but most UK and International exercises will have a contingent of 4 PARA on. It mainly comes down to the reservist flexibility of being able to attend longer (4-6 week) exercises.

The_Duke

LE
Greenfly and Shockwave are one and the same troll. Please do not feed the troll (albeit in this case your answers will be helpful to others).

Last edited:

Latest Threads